Why become a member? ×

vt1-std overdrive

bigjohn

Hiya,

I've hardly used this since I bought it. Probably 3-4 hours since I bought it last May 08.

I plugged it in the other day. nothing doing. I noticed the power light on the psu also didn't work. I thought the psu must be bust.

I bought another whilst in maplin yesterday. The straight non-switchable 12v DC one. This doesn't power up the pedal either.

Any idea?

Cheers

John

[quote name='bigjohn' post='510032' date='Jun 10 2009, 11:54 AM']Hiya,

I've hardly used this since I bought it. Probably 3-4 hours since I bought it last May 08.

I plugged it in the other day. nothing doing. I noticed the power light on the psu also didn't work. I thought the psu must be bust.

I bought another whilst in maplin yesterday. The straight non-switchable 12v DC one. This doesn't power up the pedal either.

Any idea?

Cheers

John[/quote]

Power supply connector is centre positive, you may have it the other way round. No harm done if you have.

[quote name='DHA' post='510865' date='Jun 11 2009, 08:49 AM']Power supply connector is centre positive, you may have it the other way round. No harm done if you have.[/quote]

Ok. I've tried it both ways around and nothing happens either way.

Do I need to have a bass and amp plugged in to get it to light up? I can't remember...

I don't have enough leads at the moment, they're all bust / lost. Some will hopefully arrive through the post today.

EDIT : I've got the new leads - still nothing doing.

So... brand new leads, brand new PSU.

Would the pedal light up if the valve has gone (though I wouldn't have a clue why it would have, the pedal's been sat in a cupboard drawer packed in a box for the last year).

Also - on the switchable maplin PSUs, should the red light on the transformer come on when it's plugged in, or does current need to be drawn for it to light up? I can't remember that either!

Cheers

John

Edited by bigjohn

[quote name='bigjohn' post='510960' date='Jun 11 2009, 10:47 AM']Ok. I've tried it both ways around and nothing happens either way.

Do I need to have a bass and amp plugged in to get it to light up? I can't remember...

I don't have enough leads at the moment, they're all bust / lost. Some will hopefully arrive through the post today.

Would the pedal light up if the valve has gone (though I wouldn't have a clue why it would have, the pedal's been sat in a cupboard drawer packed in a box for the last year).

Also - on the switchable maplin PSUs, should the red light on the transformer come on when it's plugged in, or does current need to be drawn for it to light up? I can't remember that either!

Cheers

John[/quote]

The pedal should light up if it's plugged into a power supply even if there are no guitar leads plugged in.

Yes the power supply light should come on if it's not plugged in. If the power supply light is not on with the pedal not plugged in then it's duff. Make sure the power supply is switched to 12VDC and has at least 400mA current.

Dave

[quote name='DHA' post='511078' date='Jun 11 2009, 12:12 PM']The pedal should light up if it's plugged into a power supply even if there are no guitar leads plugged in.

Yes the power supply light should come on if it's not plugged in. If the power supply light is not on with the pedal not plugged in then it's duff. Make sure the power supply is switched to 12VDC and has at least 400mA current.

Dave[/quote]

One more thing. As it's a Std then the pedal only lights the valve up with the backlight when the pedal is not in by-pass, ie - on. Did you try the footswitch?

[quote name='DHA' post='511081' date='Jun 11 2009, 12:15 PM']One more thing. As it's a Std then the pedal only lights the valve up with the backlight when the pedal is not in by-pass, ie - on. Did you try the footswitch?[/quote]

Yeah, tried the footswitch. Nothing doing.

What's wierd is that the switchable PSU is duff (the light doesn't come on).

I then buy a new PSU, 12v DC (500mA) and that seems duff too. Either that or the pedal's bust whilst sat in a drawer, in a padded bag, inside a cardboard box, in the spare room.

Even if it's just the pedal, why would the switchable PSU not work either?

I've tried it in different sockets, upstairs and down.

Did someone let off an e-bomb in my spare room?

Edited by bigjohn

[quote name='bigjohn' post='511226' date='Jun 11 2009, 02:28 PM']Yeah, tried the footswitch. Nothing doing.

What's wierd is that the switchable PSU is duff (the light doesn't come on).

I then buy a new PSU, 12v DC (500mA) and that seems duff too. Either that or the pedal's bust whilst sat in a drawer, in a padded bag, inside a cardboard box, in the spare room.

Even if it's just the pedal, why would the switchable PSU not work either?

I've tried it in different sockets, upstairs and down.

Did someone let off an e-bomb in my spare room?[/quote]

Please send it back for repair.

[quote name='DHA' post='511295' date='Jun 11 2009, 03:20 PM']Please send it back for repair.[/quote]

before you send it back, you did check it with an amp and bass right? If not then it might just be the led, unlikely but could happen. Does the valve get warm?

[quote name='DHA' post='511295' date='Jun 11 2009, 03:20 PM']Please send it back for repair.[/quote]

It would still work if an e-bomb had gone off as they don't bust valves just solid state. Now theres a selling point :)

[quote name='DHA' post='511298' date='Jun 11 2009, 03:23 PM']before you send it back, you did check it with an amp and bass right? If not then it might just be the led, unlikely but could happen. Does the valve get warm?[/quote]

I have tested it with a bass and an amp. It's not just the led. I'll leave it on and see if the valve gets warm.

Could it be the valve? I've got a spare I could swap out...

Could it be the switch? I'm going up to an amp tech tomorrow, I could get him to open it up and check it.

Funny enough though... neither PSU gets warm either.

[quote name='DHA' post='511305' date='Jun 11 2009, 03:26 PM']It would still work if an e-bomb had gone off as they don't bust valves just solid state. Now theres a selling point :)[/quote]

Post apocalyptic overdrive. I like it :rolleyes:

Edited by bigjohn

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='520385' date='Jun 21 2009, 11:25 PM']I just tried my Maplin PSU and the switchable dial seemed to have a dead spot near 12V where the LED just didn't come on. Moved it a bit either side and bingo![/quote]

Good news.