Why become a member? ×

My custom J bass - Shuker bass building course July 2009

ateyercheese

On the back of Mikey's dairy and course threads, I figured I ought put one up ready for photos and the like.

I'm attending Jon Shukers workshop in July also. My plans are

5 string Jazz in satin red stain with black Gotoh hardware all over and thinking about an East J-retro Preamp.

The trouble is I can't decide whether to have a black scrtach plate and the black control board or go au-naturale and have neither?

I love the straight line of descending size pots look, and the East has a three-band mid-sweepable EQ on stacked pots in chrome or black.

Other than that, 34 inch scale, 22/24 frets, 3 up, 2 down tuners and Seymour Duncan Vintage PUPs.

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Chris

[quote name='ateyercheese' post='509908' date='Jun 10 2009, 09:23 AM']5 string Jazz in satin red stain with black Gotoh hardware all over and thinking about an East J-retro Preamp.

The trouble is I can't decide whether to have a black scrtach plate and the black control board or go au-naturale and have neither?

I love the straight line of descending size pots look, and the East has a three-band mid-sweepable EQ on stacked pots in chrome or black.

Other than that, 34 inch scale, 22/24 frets, 3 up, 2 down tuners and Seymour Duncan Vintage PUPs.

Any recommendations?[/quote]

Hey Chris,

Looking forward to the course too! Dont know how I'll manage to wait next the 6 weeks... :)

Whether you go for the clean look without scratch plate, or with the scratch plate and control plate, either would look nice. My preference is for a traditional Jazz with scratchplate, as I think the body is a bit big without one to break it up visually, but thats just me.

I really like the idea of black control plate!

I agree with the smaller tuners, I think they always look better on a 5 string, the elephant ears take up way too much room. Good choice!

Edited by Mikey R

[quote name='ateyercheese' post='509908' date='Jun 10 2009, 09:23 AM']On the back of Mikey's dairy and course threads, I figured I ought put one up ready for photos and the like.

I'm attending Jon Shukers workshop in July also. My plans are

5 string Jazz in satin red stain with black Gotoh hardware all over and thinking about an East J-retro Preamp.

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Chris[/quote]I recently sold my moded GL jazz to Will (2x18) & that has black control & really nice texalium scratchplate .. he might have some better pics than me by now .. also I'd consider the Nordstrand Big Singles (got them in EMG 35 size) ....

good luck with the build !

Si

[quote name='sifi2112' post='510472' date='Jun 10 2009, 06:18 PM']also I'd consider the Nordstrand Big Singles (got them in EMG 35 size) ....[/quote]

That would be cool! I had a play on a Nordy at the 2008 BassDay, it had either Big Splits or Fat Stacks, and the tone was awesome. I specially liked the huge sounds with the bridge pickup solod.

[quote name='ateyercheese' post='509908' date='Jun 10 2009, 09:23 AM']The trouble is I can't decide whether to have a black scrtach plate and the black control board or go au-naturale and have neither?[/quote]

black one piece jazz pickguard? bit like the fender mark hoppus? i know jon does one piece jazz pickguards one some of his jazzes, he used to have this really nice sunburst jazz with a black one piece pickguard. theres a natural lefty with that pickguard on jon's website in the j bass gallery, if you want to see what i mean. i'd go for that with a red stain jazz, personally, in black. after that i'd go black pickguard with chrome hardware, but that wasn't one of your options either, so i'd say black pickguard, black control plate, black hardware.

EDIT: by the way, hope you have a great week. i went on this course a while back, and it was fantastic, i'm sure you'll have a good time.

Edited by Tait

i was imagining something a bit more like this when he said red stain

[attachment=27110:squier.jpg]

if it's like the picture mikey r posted, i'd definatly go no pickguard. if its like the squier i posted, well, i already explained my suggestions earlier.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, yeah, maybe halfway between the two. There's no top veneer, but the colours good. That first one looks great, without the guard and control plate. I'm heading towards the Seymour Duncan SJBs and STC3 pre/EQ but that naked is pushing me towards the natural finish...

3 weeks and counting!

[quote name='ateyercheese' post='528395' date='Jun 30 2009, 10:07 AM']Hey, yeah, maybe halfway between the two. There's no top veneer, but the colours good. That first one looks great, without the guard and control plate. I'm heading towards the Seymour Duncan SJBs and STC3 pre/EQ but that naked is pushing me towards the natural finish...

3 weeks and counting![/quote]

Hey Chris, are you getting the pickups and preamp from Jon, or do you have them already?

Cheers dude, That's actually quite old material from a previous line up (including the bass (oops!)). We're working on a new album now and I've done some live recordings to put up.

I've actually got a gig on the Friday we finish the course in Sheffield, if you wanna check us out? I'm wondering whether the build will be cured enough to christen....

[quote name='ateyercheese' post='529582' date='Jul 1 2009, 01:50 PM']Cheers dude, That's actually quite old material from a previous line up (including the bass (oops!)). We're working on a new album now and I've done some live recordings to put up.

I've actually got a gig on the Friday we finish the course in Sheffield, if you wanna check us out? I'm wondering whether the build will be cured enough to christen....[/quote]

Now playing your new bass on stage the day its finished, that would be cool!

Wheres the gig?

i played my shuker course bass at a gig the day after i finished, or maybe two days. the lacquer won't have fully hardened so just make sure not to bang it against anything! it should be ok though, mine was.

• 3 weeks later...

Started on the necks today. cut to shape, routed and truss rod in, covered and planed down. The slotted fret boards are gluing over night, then loads more sanding on the body, gotta get rid of all those machine marks!

Let me know if you can see this facebook album, it's getting updated as I go,
[url="http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=283493&id=589325365&l=3325607de1"]Facebook Guitar Build Album[/url]

Cool, you're from Sheffield too. :)

The bass is looking really good. I was thinking of doing the course and was going to build almost the exact same thing!

One quick question, do you end up using a lot of the big power tools to get things done (bandsaw, table saw, planer etc) or do you use more hand tools and hand held power tools?

thats looking fantastic mate. is that swamp ash? it looks like it, and what a great bit of wood it is! i assume you settled on no control plate then, if you're rear routing it? i'm gonna be watching this closely as the week progresses, the best bit about this is we get to see the steps, unlike normal shuker builds where you get the odd picture at different stages and all you're really waiting for is to see it finished.

the picture captioned "whoopsie with the plunge router" made me laugh, i remember when i did the course i got a couple of them, i either sanded them out of they're covered by the pickguard.

keep up the good work, and make sure to take as many pictures as possible!