Why become a member? ×

Is this right?

lemmywinks

I received my Stagg EDB this afternoon, after a quick play i'm very impressed, seems like a bargain. But....

The strings seem too far over to the bass-side of the fingerboard. The nut and bridge seem to be cut ok so maybe the the neck is at an odd angle?

Or is it meant to be like that? It's my first upright of any kind so i have no idea what i should be looking at!

One thing that did make me suspicious was that Soundslive sold this at £299 as a "last one" deal, all the other Stagg EDBs were £349. Now they are selling this colour at £349 too, so maybe they wanted to get rid of this one?

Thanks in advance for any advice and information!

Steve

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='509484' date='Jun 9 2009, 08:19 PM']I received my Stagg EDB this afternoon, after a quick play i'm very impressed, seems like a bargain. But....

The strings seem too far over to the bass-side of the fingerboard. The nut and bridge seem to be cut ok so maybe the the neck is at an odd angle?

Or is it meant to be like that? It's my first upright of any kind so i have no idea what i should be looking at!

One thing that did make me suspicious was that Soundslive sold this at £299 as a "last one" deal, all the other Stagg EDBs were £349. Now they are selling this colour at £349 too, so maybe they wanted to get rid of this one?

Thanks in advance for any advice and information!

Steve[/quote]

I would contact Sounds Live as soon as possible. They are a great shop/supplier so if there is something "not right" (and it doesn't look right to me) they will sort things out immediately for you. Even if it is the last one, I do not think they would sell you it on the basis that the price has been reduced because there is something wrong about it.

Edited by rslaing

Sent it back although they don't have any on stock at the moment. Might just get a refund if it's gonna be ages

Apart from that it actually seems really well built, considering it's the cheapest EUB around at the moment it's a real bargain.

Plus from a distance it looks like graphite and ebony!

This one is going back tomorrow, the guy from soundslive seemed to know his stuff, straight away confirming "you seem to have a definite problem then"!

Bit gutted as i was really digging playing it, plus it's nice to look at too!

What's up with yours bythesea?
I heard the scare stories on TB but it was between this and the Thomann one. The Stagg seemed more practical and more folk on here use them

Bought mine around six weeks ago. Everything works and it's great fun. Unfortunately the winding on the A string is uneven at the nut end (for around five semitones) so when I stop the string low down it buzzes.

Told the company I bought it from and they said they would get their supplier to send a replacement. Three weeks later nothing had arrived so I phoned again and they checked and said that the supplier had sent one but it must have been lost in the post (was coming from abroad). They were going to put another in the post.

A parcel arrived yesterday from Brussels... with a spare machine head in it! Phoned again and waiting for them to get back to me.

I'm thinking of getting some replacement strings and keeping these as spares (plus the replacement when/if it arrives) but they are rather pricey. Still, I have been told it will sound even better with good strings on it :)

Edited by bythesea

I was thinking of these gear4music ones, cheapys will do me. I'm not about to gig it just yet (it's too big and i'm lazy) plus i don't have £100 to spend on strings at the moment (or ever!)

[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Woodwind-Brass-Strings/Double-Bass-String-Set-3-4-size-by-G4M/81N"]http://www.gear4music.com/Woodwind-Brass-S...size-by-G4M/81N[/url]