Why become a member? ×

Electroharmonix Micro Synthesizer

LukeFRC

Just saw a second hand Micro Synthesizer for what looks like quite a cheap price.
Its not the bass one, will it work with a bass? Would you recommend?Is it any good? and what would you think is a good price for it secondhand? What folk think?

It will work on bass but I don't think it will sound that good, unless you fancy changing numerous caps to give the lower frequencies so usage.

I've used both (bass and guitar versions) on guitar and found they work great for guitar, but when using a POG into microsynth it just didn't cut it on the lower octave (equivalent to a bass)

Some guitarists seem to prefer the Bass Micro Synth, but I don't think the guitar version will work so well on bass. I'd avoid it personally.

[quote name='Protium' post='509501' date='Jun 9 2009, 08:30 PM']The big metals ones tend to go for around £100 on here, the modern XO ones slightly less.[/quote]

If you get either of them used for under £120 it's a good price IMO. The original steel-cased BMS is still one of my favourite pedals.

It's a case of changing 3 of the risitors to make it a bass one from the guitar one (the old on at least). It's just a case of finding and destorying (/replacing) those 3!!

EDIT

you can probably fin a modd'r to do it for you, (and put an expression pedal on the stop frequency at the same time!! WOOO!! I'm SO getting THAT done!)

Edited by iamapirate

[quote name='iamapirate' post='509697' date='Jun 9 2009, 10:53 PM']you can probably fin a modd'r to do it for you, (and put an expression pedal on the stop frequency at the same time!! WOOO!! I'm SO getting THAT done!)[/quote]

I am actually having that done at the mo.

Gonna post my xiq board(s) when its done.

Dan

Aww man I was hoping you wouldn't ask. I guess we want to find tonal uniqueness but by robbing other people's ideas (this mod being one) you've got to give back to the community so:

Our very own Umph is doing the TB, LED and exp mods for a very small amount (I can't say how much as he's also doing a bunch of other work and has quoted me a single price). I reckon less than £30 though.

Dan

[quote name='DanOwens' post='509768' date='Jun 10 2009, 12:09 AM']Our very own Umph is doing the TB, LED and exp mods for a very small amount (I can't say how much as he's also doing a bunch of other work and has quoted me a single price). I reckon less than £30 though.[/quote]

I'm starting to like our very own Umph. He's working on a custom blender for me at the mo (which I'll post about when it's ready).

well i went and had another look. £80 and its the older model. decided against getting it cos it would be one of the things that i would get and not use, if it had been the bass one you wouldn't been able to stop me! Think thats the best thing to do.

cash converters south clark st if anyone wants it.

No, it doesn't include the price of the expression pedal but today I dismantled my mono volume pedal, replaced the jack with a stereo socket and and replaced the pot with a 1MOhm linear taper.

I know its simple but its my best soldering job to date!

Dan

Edited by DanOwens

This is mainly for iampirate, but I thought i'd say that the mods I'm having done by Umph are replacing the first round of mods I did myself, namely replacing the footswitch with a TRS jack socket and made a box with a TRS jack and footswitch. I used a stereo jack cable to connect the two, thereby making the footswitch 'remote' so I could put the pedal on a stand but turn it on and off with my foot.

Handy indeed!

Dan