Why become a member? ×

Left handed forum?

josh3184

[quote name='steve-soar' post='510784' date='Jun 11 2009, 12:12 AM']Guys, look at this and nip this war of sides in the bud, if only for the children. :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmlQgDuoOr8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmlQgDuoOr8[/url][/quote]I feel ashamed when the video gets to 1:31, left handed spoon, FFS!!!!!!!!!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='steve-soar' post='510766' date='Jun 10 2009, 11:51 PM']Hi leftybassman, I also teach and so far, non of my students have been left handed and as Tomboy has said, a lot of my students find looking at a mirror image of their fingerboard helpful. :)

Can you tell me some of the issues you have faced as a lefty bassist?[/quote]

I was going to go to bed but couldn't resist responding to this post.

In the spirit of intelligent debate I will make just a couple of points (think of it as your starter for 10):

1. Instruments - where to buy decent gear; and why we need to pay more for it or else pay vast sums to have it specially made for us.

2. For those of us who teach and who take our job seriously - how to spot and respond when students are properly left handed (quite a big topic, this one); and how to deal with right handed colleagues and fellow players who don't seem able to understand why we can't all just be like them, cos wouldn't it make life so much easier?

That do you for now?

Nighty night fellow travellers.

[quote name='leftybassman392' post='510792' date='Jun 11 2009, 12:19 AM']and how to deal with right handed colleagues and fellow players who don't seem able to understand why we can't all just be like them, cos wouldn't it make life so much easier?[/quote]
Andy, I really don't think it's such a big deal... if you're left handed, it doesn't make you inferior, but you know that would be patronising if I thought that. I already answered your first point regarding supply & demand.
But if anyone wants to contribute then fire away. :)

[quote name='leftybassman392' post='510792' date='Jun 11 2009, 12:19 AM']I was going to go to bed but couldn't resist responding to this post.

In the spirit of intelligent debate I will make just a couple of points (think of it as your starter for 10):

1. Instruments - where to buy decent gear; and why we need to pay more for it or else pay vast sums to have it specially made for us.

2. For those of us who teach and who take our job seriously - how to spot and respond when students are properly left handed (quite a big topic, this one); and how to deal with right handed colleagues and fellow players who don't seem able to understand why we can't all just be like them, cos wouldn't it make life so much easier?

That do you for now?

Nighty night fellow travellers.[/quote]Hi lefty, you being the quiz master makes no sense to introduce debate on any intellectual level. Are you making points, or asking questions?

1. Instruments. Decent gear for lefty players is at an all time high.

2 a. Bit cloudy this one, as you obviously take things seriously, you should realise that there is no such thing as "properly left handed" as anyone with a modicum of intelligence knows that the human brain has billions of decisions to make throughout life to determine dexterity. How can an amputee be properly left of right handed in their recovery?

2b. I've never in 24 years of playing music, found any right handed players of any instrument to have a problem with the way I hold my bass.

Steve.

Concilliatory gesture: I still think there is a good case for a non-exclusive Lefty Forum (and please don't anyone take it personally but I still haven't heard a convincing argument against it). However I'm content to have raised the profile a bit so that it can be properly aired. If it turns out that the consensus is against it, then I'll accept the group's decision without whingeing. If anyone does want to chat about Lefty stuff though................................

I'm thinking about a career in politics btw - maybe I could stand as a Monster Raving Loony Lefty candidate! :D :rolleyes: :lol:

Couldn't be any worse than the current shower. :)

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='steve-soar' post='510818' date='Jun 11 2009, 01:58 AM']1. Instruments. Decent gear for lefty players is at an all time high.[/quote]

I agree, but that's all thanks to the internet IMHO. I would not have been able to gather the same amount of lefthanded gear I have now without internet. Stores in a range of about 50 km around my location rarely have anything fancier than a Squier Precision Special, a cheap-ass Washburn or a Stagg. And with a little luck you may find a MIM Fender Jazz, or a lefty Yamaha BB. Every bass I currently own was bought on the internet or located with help from the internet and bought at a store at whose website I found it.

Otherwise I would still be haunting classified ads in newspapers, harrassing stores throughout the country, or ordering a custom made instrument or a factory instrument at a 15% upcharge and having to wait for months, having to make a deposit of (often) half the price, and if you cancel your order because it turns out you don't like the bass as much as you were hoping when it finally arrives, you lose your deposit...

I think I should add to this thread but appears to have all been said.
I tend to agree with Steve that a dedicated lefty thread (other than the excellent idea of the l/h basses for sale thread) is not necessary. There are already other sites that cover the issues very well I think, leftybass.com and various ongoing threads on Talkbass as example.
Having said that there is (what I hope) a minority on here who just don't get what being left handed is all about. In a recent thread where a regular contributor on Basschat commented that he believed left handed instruments should not be produced. It's that kind of ignorance that makes you think we should have our own community.
Leftybassman392 did buy my SEI I believe so I won't dismiss the idea completely, in case I ever try to buy it back.

Exactly, that and i really don't like getting the stick when it comes to buying a lefty. it's either the low quality models which are expensive, or the extremely nice models which are impossible to get. a good example that shows us lefties are forgotten is this:

I wetn to guitarcenter to look at a new bass and they only had one lefty in stock, it was an Ibanez SR300DXL. it was a good bass, don't get me wrong, but the controls were all messed up. the bass was a mess. it really looked like someone used it as a weapon at one point! I was furious!

[quote name='whynot' post='511235' date='Jun 11 2009, 02:33 PM']I think I should add to this thread but appears to have all been said.
I tend to agree with Steve that a dedicated lefty thread (other than the excellent idea of the l/h basses for sale thread) is not necessary. There are already other sites that cover the issues very well I think, leftybass.com and various ongoing threads on Talkbass as example.
Having said that there is (what I hope) a minority on here who just don't get what being left handed is all about. In a recent thread where a regular contributor on Basschat commented that he believed left handed instruments should not be produced. It's that kind of ignorance that makes you think we should have our own community.
Leftybassman392 did buy my SEI I believe so I won't dismiss the idea completely, in case I ever try to buy it back.[/quote]

Hey! Good to hear from you again. The SEI has worked out really well for me - what a lovely instrument. :rolleyes: Actually it's at The Bass Gallery right now getting some minor work done. Martin asked if I could remember your details. Unfortunately I have the memory of a goldfish for that kind of stuff so I forgot. Sorry! :) You might care to give him a call when you get some time.

Oh, and no, you can't have it back... it's mine, d'ya hear... mine I tells ya! :lol:

[quote name='leftybassman392' post='511435' date='Jun 11 2009, 05:14 PM']Hey! Good to hear from you again. The SEI has worked out really well for me - what a lovely instrument. :rolleyes: Actually it's at The Bass Gallery right now getting some minor work done. Martin asked if I could remember your details. Unfortunately I have the memory of a goldfish for that kind of stuff so I forgot. Sorry! :) You might care to give him a call when you get some time.

Oh, and no, you can't have it back... it's mine, d'ya hear... mine I tells ya! :D[/quote]So you got that lovely walnut Sei, with the blue LED's?

Nice one. :lol:

BTW Steve, current evidence on handedness is actually inconclusive, but the general consensus is that it is at least partly genetic. Not trying to be argumentative - just trying to have an intelligent debate, so please don't take it personally. Try this:-

[url="http://www.psychologistworld.com/influence_personality/handedness.php"]Recent research[/url]

Andy

[quote name='leftybassman392' post='511435' date='Jun 11 2009, 05:14 PM']Oh, and no, you can't have it back... it's mine, d'ya hear... mine I tells ya! :)[/quote]
Your ok. Only joking about having it back.
I'm very happy with the Shuker that replaced it, although must confess to having an itch for a 5 string jazz type. I tend to be taking a Jazz deluxe 4 on most gigs at the moment.
I can't phone Martin as anytime I speak to the guy or go into the Gallery I order another bass. Not healthy.

[quote name='leftybassman392' post='511480' date='Jun 11 2009, 06:02 PM']BTW Steve, current evidence on handedness is actually inconclusive, but the general consensus is that it is at least partly genetic. Not trying to be argumentative - just trying to have an intelligent debate, so please don't take it personally. Try this:-

[url="http://www.psychologistworld.com/influence_personality/handedness.php"]Recent research[/url]

Andy[/quote]Very interesting stuff there Andy. I've tried to play right handed and it feels worse than when I first picked up a bass to play (though it is difficult to remember that far back).

Anyway, intelligent debate, is what we lefties do best. :)

Steve.

[quote name='whynot' post='511494' date='Jun 11 2009, 01:12 PM']Your ok. Only joking about having it back.
I'm very happy with the Shuker that replaced it, although must confess to having an itch for a 5 string jazz type. I tend to be taking a Jazz deluxe 4 on most gigs at the moment.
I can't phone Martin as anytime I speak to the guy or go into the Gallery I order another bass. Not healthy.[/quote]

there's a guy who makes Jazz Deluxes on leftybassist.com his username is Rodent, he works for a company called Regenerate Guitar Works and the stuff they sell comes in both righty and lefty.

[quote name='whynot' post='511494' date='Jun 11 2009, 06:12 PM']Your ok. Only joking about having it back.
I can't phone Martin as anytime I speak to the guy or go into the Gallery I order another bass. Not healthy.[/quote]

So you won't want to hear that he's got a Lefty Jazz 5 in stock at the mo. :rolleyes: Not sure if I should be telling you this anyhow cos i've kinda taken a fancy to it myself :)

Do like the look of the Shukers tho'. Roger Inniss is a friend of a friend, and he showed me his sixes last time I met him. Nice! (Don't think I could deal with 6 strings though - 5's plenty for me right now.)

Just thought I'd drop in this Wikipedia article I found. It's long, a bit technical and doesn't have much to do with playing bass, but it does give lots of detail about the social, historical and scientific backdrop to being left handed. Read if you can be bothered or can't sleep. If not, you'll live anyway (just not quite as long....). :)

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left_handedness"]Follow this link for more about your 'affliction'[/url]

[quote name='Rebel' post='511513' date='Jun 11 2009, 07:34 PM']there's a guy who makes Jazz Deluxes on leftybassist.com his username is Rodent, he works for a company called Regenerate Guitar Works and the stuff they sell comes in both righty and lefty.[/quote]

The guy IS Regenerate Guitar Works :)

[quote name='steve-soar' post='511449' date='Jun 11 2009, 05:27 PM']So you got that lovely walnut Sei, with the blue LED's?[/quote]
I may have mentioned this before but the blue LEDs almost didn't happen.
Martin quoted me a fantastic price on this bass when I ordered it, for being an old customer I think (back to serial no 002).
When I went to view the bass mid production no holes were made for the leds in the side of neck. Been missed off the order form.
The price was still below what would normally be quoted without leds but Martin part retro fitted as the board and neck had already been glued.

I've seen the 5 string jazz on the website but not for me. I prefer the body to be a little downsized like the US Deluxe, although the electrics etc would work for me.

[quote name='Rebel' post='511513' date='Jun 11 2009, 06:34 PM']there's a guy who makes Jazz Deluxes on leftybassist.com his username is Rodent, he works for a company called Regenerate Guitar Works and the stuff they sell comes in both righty and lefty.[/quote]
Thanks for this. Did come accross the site before and a couple of nice left handers on there.
I think if I went custom again for a jazz type it would be with Shuker, being uk based and first class workmanship/service.

[quote name='whynot' post='512151' date='Jun 12 2009, 02:33 PM']I think if I went custom again for a jazz type it would be with Shuker, being uk based and first class workmanship/service.[/quote]

The Shukers I saw did look structurally very similar to some of the SEI models (In fact at first glance I thought they were SEI's). How do they compare?

[quote name='leftybassman392' post='512396' date='Jun 12 2009, 07:50 PM']The Shukers I saw did look structurally very similar to some of the SEI models (In fact at first glance I thought they were SEI's). How do they compare?[/quote]

I've had a Sei Flamboyant 6er and also had a Shuker 6er made. I've got to say the Shuke is incredible value for money and just as good as the Sei for a fraction of the cost. I don't really know how Jon Shuker does it. Just my opinion of course. :)

[quote name='Johngh' post='512400' date='Jun 12 2009, 07:54 PM']I've had a Sei Flamboyant 6er and also had a Shuker 6er made. I've got to say the Shuke is incredible value for money and just as good as the Sei for a fraction of the cost. I don't really know how Jon Shuker does it. Just my opinion of course. :)[/quote]

I have to say I was very impressed by the ones I saw - I didn't realise they were so much cheaper than the SEI's. Time for a closer look methinks!