Why become a member? ×

EHX Microbass XO - Re Daisy Chain

Smash

Hi, just was asking a guy in a shop about the new XO microbass version as I said I owned the original version and loved it but the bypass, 24v and size got the better of me so I sold it. Trouble is now the new version was perfect for me in every way except the sales assistant told me if your thinking of using this in a daisy chain it will not work, or at best will hum, is this true as I have been shot down in flames.

The XO Microsynth WILL work on a daisy chain, but you have to use a Gigrig Virtual Battery (about £25-30), attach it to a connector on the daisy chain then join the gigrig and the microsynth. The gigrig works as an isolated output and therefore takes away the 'daisy chain' element. I did this using a Johnnyshredfreak power supply and got no hum whatsoever. The Gigrig people are nice guys too so support them!

[quote name='umcoo' post='504594' date='Jun 3 2009, 12:23 PM']The XO Microsynth WILL work on a daisy chain, but you have to use a Gigrig Virtual Battery (about £25-30), attach it to a connector on the daisy chain then join the gigrig and the microsynth. The gigrig works as an isolated output and therefore takes away the 'daisy chain' element. I did this using a Johnnyshredfreak power supply and got no hum whatsoever. The Gigrig people are nice guys too so support them![/quote]

Never knew about those. Do they work with multiple pedals or do you need one for each pedal?

Great condition Big Muff in your avatar btw - the paint flakes like nobody's business on those things. Is it yours?

I honestly don;t know about using more than 1 pedal. You could either shoot the guys an email at Gigrig, or maybe ask Higgie on here as I know he used/uses one?

And the muff isn't mine I'm afraid....although the one I have is in even better condition :)

I use 2 of these units to power my original Mutron III from a 9V output :)

I'm not sure about using one with multiple pedals, surely you'd have to daisy chain off the virtual battery, therefore eliminating the isolation you needed it for in the first place?

I know you can combine 2 virtual batteries to get 18V, but I'm not sure about using multiple pedals off of one unit.

Edited by Higgie

Smash, yes it does I'm afraid. Maybe keep an eye for a 2nd hand one? I don't know about you, but I get really fussy about neatness and a tidy pedalboard, so the cost was worth it in my case, as it eliminates an extra power supply and the gigrig is small enough to look neat and tidy.

I sold my xo microsynth and gigrig late last year on here...you gotta be quick!!

[quote name='umcoo' post='504731' date='Jun 3 2009, 03:01 PM']Smash, yes it does I'm afraid. Maybe keep an eye for a 2nd hand one? I don't know about you, but I get really fussy about neatness and a tidy pedalboard, so the cost was worth it in my case, as it eliminates an extra power supply and the gigrig is small enough to look neat and tidy.

I sold my xo microsynth and gigrig late last year on here...you gotta be quick!![/quote]

I will have to keep my eye out for one, a neat and tidy pedalboard is essential, I am not sure I can go back to 2/3 PSU's again but if it saves cash I may be persuaded.