Why become a member? ×

Just Back From An Evening In A Studio....

Hot Tub

I'm doing a short college course on Monday nights. It's basically learning about mixing & stuff on a 24 track desk & digital recorder, and I fancied doing it 'cause I thought it'd be fun.

Our little tutor group of 4 people just recorded a song tonight. One of the daytime college students layed down a drum track and the idea was that we'd all just jam over the top of it and see what happened. Then we'd have a play around on the desk and see what we could do. But it turned out that I'm the only "musician" in the group. :lol: So, one of our group sang some made-up lyrics in Spanish. The drum track was already done. I ended up playing bass, rythmn guitar, background keys, and organ solo at the end. I haven't even held an electric guitar for close on twenty years.

But the really amazing thing was listening to the track at the end of the session. It's a rough mix, but it sounds good! And apart from the drums and vocals, everything else is me!

Sorry to blow my own trumpet (it's possibly the only instrument I didn't play tonight!), but this has really given my self confidence a huge shot in the arm. I'm always the first one to say that I'm sh!t, and I'll absolutely NEVER play in front of anyone, but tonight it just sort of.... happened.

And it was absolutely bloody amazing! :rolleyes:

Sorry. Just wanted to share.

:)

[quote name='51m0n' post='503655' date='Jun 2 2009, 12:07 PM']Enjoy the course, how long is it?[/quote]

It's just 5 weeks, 3 1/2 to 4hrs a week. It's intense, but great fun and with only four people in the tutor group we all get a chance of "hands on" experience.