Why become a member? ×

Anyone actually own a Warwick Dark Lord?

fretmeister

I had my Ibanez BTB556MP tuned - F# B E A D G - once...Just so I could get under the drop-B guitars.
I used a Conklin .190 string...I find .175 isn't enough...it wasn't flappy at all.
The sound was HUGE and thunderous, like a piano when slapped or tapped.
Only problemo is there ain't a lot of amps out there than can deliver that low note clearly.
I decided in the end, cost being a factor also, to go back to standard 6-string.

If I had a 7 though...I'd drop the high string for a Low-F# again any day. :)
And yeah, Dood played a 7-string with this...He's in a project with Pin from Sikth at the mo. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Kongo' post='502540' date='May 31 2009, 08:38 PM']I had my Ibanez BTB556MP tuned - F# B E A D G - once...Just so I could get under the drop-B guitars.
I used a Conklin .190 string...I find .175 isn't enough...it wasn't flappy at all.
The sound was HUGE and thunderous, like a piano when slapped or tapped.
Only problemo is there ain't a lot of amps out there than can deliver that low note clearly.
I decided in the end, cost being a factor also, to go back to standard 6-string.

If I had a 7 though...I'd drop the high string for a Low-F# again any day. :)
And yeah, Dood played a 7-string with this...[b]He's in a project with Pin from Sikth at the mo. [/b]:rolleyes:[/quote]

My word that is very cool indeed!!!

I thought about tuning my Status 5 F# B E A D... but the Zero Fret + string guide bit would make it a non-reversible mod on the guide.

Arse.

[quote name='fretmeister' post='502823' date='Jun 1 2009, 11:16 AM']My word that is very cool indeed!!!

I thought about tuning my Status 5 F# B E A D... but the Zero Fret + string guide bit would make it a non-reversible mod on the guide.

Arse.[/quote]

Also the bridge... although Conklin do taper wind the strings but if you get a DarkLord steing set be warned they are NOT taperwound and you will NOT get it through the bridge without drilling...and if it's a through body forget it! :rolleyes:
Try experementing on a decent but cheaper bass so you get a good sound, but it doesn't matter if it doesn't work instead of working on your Status right now.

You can try 34 or 35 scale...Conklin strings will go out to about 36 I think...but that also depends on your string post width.
I would love to try a non-taper .190 or .175 for some palm muting fun, just for the hell of it. I don't normally play with a pic but some meaty palm muting would be awesome.

Again, amplification.
Your gonna need some watts and then some and a cab that can handle a neuclear explosion!
I guess speaker size maybe 15" but, I don't beleive all this speaker size business...My Trace Elliot 4x10 handles a Low-B fine and screams for more so you could try something similar.

The video on Youtube with that guy playing the DarkLord sucks...He's sposed to be a big metal bass legend...But there is NO sound coming from that Low-F# he just has it too low and it frets out.
Trust me the real deal, string and tuning wise not the exact bass, sounds real nice when you get it right!

If I could find a 6-string that has the tone I have found recently in Jazz basses I would go for it again.
I don't use the High-C as much as I used to...I think a Low-F# would be better for tapping for that piano sound. :)

BTW, Rotosound are releasing a string set called "Drop Zone+" and it's .175 - .135 - .105 - .85 set similar to DarkLord...not sure when they will hit the shops though...

Edited by Kongo