Why become a member? ×

Recommended Pup's

Metalmoore

I was looking at Select's by EMG since they are 30 quid off of stewmac, anyone got any experience with them? Or can anyone recommend another set for around the same price range. By the way its a set of jazz pup's i'm looking for. Links to them and reviews would help greatly to, thanks.

I'm not too sure what my desired sound is, I think i'd like a jazz tone to go with the look. i do play large range of music ie some metal then move onto some reggae to some classic rock is pretty common. I suppose i dont want them real quiet but want a good range of tones that i can actually notice when turning the tone knob.

Well, I have Kent Armstrongs in mine, not sure exactly which, but they seem pretty trad jazz, a totally non-musical friend commented on the different sounds I could get out of it. I think a fair bit of the difference a tone pot makes is in the pot and the capacitor, as well as the newness of the strings, more treble to roll off. Wizards are great by all accounts but far over budget, pretty much end game pickups and gonna resell fairly easily. I'd pm Prosebass about the ones he uses, they are cheap, can't remember what they were. Other low budget seemingly good ones are ToneRider, GFS/guitarfetish and Artec. Not tried any of those myself, but Tonerider strat pickups are a noticeable improvement to a Mexi strat, and GFS made a nice humbucker.

The Guitar Fetish Jazz pups are getting a good following. I've got quite a few items from here and the delivery has been fast - StewMac can take up to 2 weeks - Jay sends his stuff out with an average delivery (to me) of 4-5 days.

[url="http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfsjbprojaba.html"]http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfsjbprojaba.html[/url]

G.

I haven't experienced the EMG select jazz pickups, but had an EMG Select P pickup in my Squier Precision. I found it ok, and gigged with it. I recently changed it for a Tonerider P pickup and found it to be an improvement. The bass sounds great now. And it was only £26 delivered.

David