Why become a member? ×

New Mark Bass report!

Musicman20

Right, as promised, a report.

I tried some of the Momark stuff, the LM3 and the LMTube 800.

Quick reviews:

Momark - very cleverly put together. The testing tower is a brilliant idea. I didnt opt for this as I wanted my MB to be just standard. It is damn cool though. Have a try! Loads of options. You can have exactly what you want.

LMTube800 - This was weird. It sounded awesome, but, I think I prefer the 500W analog MB gear. The tube was a little like my old Trace rig, as in it added some warmth and changed the sound a bit, but not as much as I thought it it would. Thats probably because when I think tube I think my Orange AD200b killer cranked sound. The extra wattage was not audible when I a/b'd it with the LM3 and an 8ohm cab. Very well constructed, the mute seemed a little weird being on a pull switch, and lots of extra features, however none that I really needed. No doubt at 4ohm it would sound very very loud.

LM3 - Absolutely awesome. I love this amp. So, Ive got one on its way. The store are getting me a new one in all boxed etc cos I like my gear like that. The 500W is more than enough. I tried two Aggie DB1x12 and it was stunningly loud and perfect. I love this amp. Basically, a LM2 with good extras. Ok, no mute, but hey, still brilliant.

So....hope that helps. I think I was taken with the LM3 straight away, and I didnt need the extras of the Tube800. I wanted solid state, as Ive already got full tube. I suggest you all try them and see what you think, but the Tube feature is more about extra warmth. The 500W Analog of the LM3 is brilliant, purely brilliant!

PS - The Aggie DB1x12s are AMAZING!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='498397' date='May 26 2009, 11:49 PM']The extra wattage was not audible when I a/b'd it with the LM3 and an 8ohm cab.[/quote]

The reason the extra wattage wouldn't be audible is because the cab wouldn't be able to handle it. You would need a 6x10" to notice a benefit in going from 500W to 800W, or in the case of an 8 ohm load a good 4x10". Just because a cab is rated at 1000W it doesn't mean it can actually handle that power - yes, the voice coils will need over 1000W to suffer thermal damage but the woofers will typically run out of excursion at less than a quarter of that power.

Alex

Ah understood, thanks Alex.

Obviously I have no doubt the Tube 800 is perfect for people who want ultra quick digital response and that extra headroom. The LM3 is great though, for the normal sized gigs.

Bass Merchant have all this gear in, and at very good prices! :)