Why become a member? ×

Earplugs again

I've had a look through the old threads about earplugs, and I'm wondering, does anyone know of earplugs with a higher level of protection than the standard ER20s?
I've just been at a 3 day music festival, wearing ER20s almost all the time, and my ears are still not right, nearly two days after it's over. I blame the dub tent, but the main stage was pretty loud too. My balance is off (it feels like being slightly drunk), I've lost some of the high frequencies and my ears just feel weird. I've been to see my GP, and she reckons I don't have any kind of ear infection, it's just the effects of excess volume.
So, are there any plugs with more attenuation than ER20s (something for industrial use perhaps?), or should I declare that situations like that are just too loud and stop going? The size of the systems has increased massively in the past couple of years and it was never not loud enough to begin with!

I might be wrong but, I don't think ear plugs will protect against excessive bass rumble and vibration, when the bass physically shakes everything. If you can feel your body vibrating this will transmit through your body to your ears not just through the air. I think that kind of vibration will bypass the ear plugs.

You can get ER-25s in custom moulds that will cut 25db and cost you about £160. You can also get moulds made for shooting or biking or industrial use that cost about half that (because you don't have to buy a filter) and will block pretty much everything, but as Chris says, if the effect of the moving air is physical and that starts to affect your ear function then it won't matter what you wear.