Why become a member? ×

Saw a really good bass player last night..

silverfoxnik

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='497551' date='May 25 2009, 08:46 PM']Nik,

Er ... my band [i]Barabajagal[/i] played at Southwick Beer Festival on Saturday afternoon (our 4th gig) and some of that sounds like me: Fender Tony Franklin Fretless P bass (bought it from Water of Tyne), NS WAV 4 (bought it from Lee650), Bobby Gentry tune (amongst others), but the rest sounds like some one else; perhaps you'd had too much of that 8.5% beer they were selling.

I take it you're in Burning Organ - I know Tony your guitarist a little and did a one off gig with him with Micky Hart & the Drugstore Romeos last summer.[/quote]
Hi Dave

Sorry - been busy the last few days and not had a chance to check this thread for a few days... Yes; it's definitely you! I've met your drummer a few times as well (didn't he gig with Mickey Hart before?)..

Absolutely; I've been playing with Burning Organ since 2006 and took over from mr_russ, another Basschatter.

I really enjoyed the 3 or 4 numbers I saw of your set by the way; great vibe in the band, good songs and perfect for the setting I thought!

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='499136' date='May 27 2009, 06:29 PM']And Nik, if you ever return to this thread, I'd be interested to hear what you thought of my intonation on the fretless and the upright - that was my first gig with the unlined P bass.

No one in the band ever complains (except when I play a straightforwardly bum note) so I feel I'm getting away with it but I find it hard to be sure I'm really in tune even if I know I am close (or maybe just close enough).

I'd appreciate a comment one way or the other if you have one.[/quote]

Got to be honest Dave and say that I didn't notice anything being out of tune at all, and I hadn't even had a drink by then either! :) What I remember was a really lovely old skool sound from the bass/rig combination and some very fluid playing that gave the music a lot of energy.. reminded me slightly of that James Jamerson style of playing in and around the chord changes which keeps the interest going, even if the chord changes in the song are fairly standard..

When are you next playing locally?

Nik

[quote name='bythesea' post='499221' date='May 27 2009, 07:44 PM']I went in to work on Monday and one of my colleagues told me she had been to the Southwick Beer Festival over the weekend and had seen a really good band. I asked who they were and she told me they were called Burning Organ... :rolleyes:[/quote]
That's good to know, thanks! :)

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='500203' date='May 28 2009, 08:02 PM']Hi Dave

Sorry - been busy the last few days and not had a chance to check this thread for a few days... Yes; it's definitely you! I've met your drummer a few times as well (didn't he gig with Mickey Hart before?).[/quote]
Yes, Nick Gates our drummer deps for Micky Hart sometimes and used to be in Rum Boogie who now are no more. Nik our guitarist and harp player plays bass for Micky Hart (and I dep for him with them sometimes) and he used to be the Rum Boogie bassist (except for a year when he was in Colombia and I was Rum Boogie bassist).

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='500203' date='May 28 2009, 08:02 PM']Absolutely; I've been playing with Burning Organ since 2006 and took over from mr_russ, another Basschatter.[/quote]
I've heard very good reports about Burning Organ but never actually seen you. And mr_russ I think i know too because I taught him when he was at BHASVIC.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='500203' date='May 28 2009, 08:02 PM']I really enjoyed the 3 or 4 numbers I saw of your set by the way; great vibe in the band, good songs and perfect for the setting I thought!

Got to be honest Dave and say that I didn't notice anything being out of tune at all, and I hadn't even had a drink by then either! :) What I remember was a really lovely old skool sound from the bass/rig combination and some very fluid playing that gave the music a lot of energy.. reminded me slightly of that James Jamerson style of playing in and around the chord changes which keeps the interest going, even if the chord changes in the song are fairly standard..[/quote]
Well, thanks very much for that - you're too generous I'm sure.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='500203' date='May 28 2009, 08:02 PM']When are you next playing locally?[/quote]
The Dover Castle, Southover Street, Hanover, Brighton, Sunday 7th June, 8.30pm.
The Ranelagh, St James's Street, Kemptown, Brighton, Wednesday 15th July, 8.30pm.

The Romans in Southwick too but I can't find the date at the moment.

Be nice to see you if you can make any of those - make sure you say hello.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='500237' date='May 28 2009, 08:39 PM']Yes, Nick Gates our drummer deps for Micky Hart sometimes and used to be in Rum Boogie who now are no more. Nik our guitarist and harp player plays bass for Micky Hart (and I dep for him with them sometimes) and he used to be the Rum Boogie bassist (except for a year when he was in Colombia and I was Rum Boogie bassist).

I've heard very good reports about Burning Organ but never actually seen you. And mr_russ I think i know too because I taught him when he was at BHASVIC.

Well, thanks very much for that - you're too generous I'm sure.

The Dover Castle, Southover Street, Hanover, Brighton, Sunday 7th June, 8.30pm.
The Ranelagh, St James's Street, Kemptown, Brighton, Wednesday 15th July, 8.30pm.

The Romans in Southwick too but I can't find the date at the moment.

Be nice to see you if you can make any of those - make sure you say hello.[/quote]
Cool! Please say hi to Nick (drums) for me... and The Romans would be a good one for me, so I'll have to look it up on their website.. Will definitely see you at one of your gis and will come and say hello!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='499231' date='May 27 2009, 07:58 PM']Surely I'm not the only person that come across players (particularly drummists) that despite years of experience have never clicked with the concepts of 'groove' or 'pocket' etc and instead sound like a pale imitation of a poorly programmed drum machine?[/quote]

Yep, us again :-(