Why become a member? ×

Hartke Hydrive LH1000 Tube tests

eightball

ok, been checking on the web for alternative tubes to the standard sovtek in this head, but not a lot there, so i thought i'd do a wee bit of messing meself with what i had around.

the amp was bridged into 2 SWR goliath II 4 x10's (standard PAS drivers), all eq's at 12 o'clock, limiter off, brite off.

basses were; custom MM, mahogany body, rosewood board, bartolini TCT 3 band active, duncan SMB-4a. Fender Jazz 64' reissue, alder body, custom shop pups, rosewood board. both strung with DR hi beam 105's.

the contenders are:

[list]
[*]standard sovtek 12AX7
[*]standard marshall 12AX7 (suspect it's a shuang yung or something)
[*]electro harmonix 12AX7EH
[*]50's vintage brimar 6060 (12AT7)
[*]tung sol 12AX7
[/list]

...and the results?

sovtek (stock tube) - loud, bright, but a little brittle
marshall - pretty much as above
electro harmonix - loud, smoother and brighter up top. lows more defined and tighter.
brimar - much more sedate (as expected from the lower gain tube), but warm and round with less output (jazz especially liked this one).
tung sol - as EH, but more so. the MM favoured this one especially.

winner? for me, definately the tung sol, without a doubt.

don't know if that fairly unscientific, subjective account is of any use to anyone, but hopefully it's a wee bit of a guide :) can see this and the 500 being fairly popular, so feel free to add to if you have any more, or even if you disagree entirely!

Edited by eightball

Fantastic stuff..

my recommendations would be to try:-

Harma Diamond STR drive tested 12ax7 from Watford valves. 10/10 excellent valve.. Always used them.. if they are good enough for Brian May etc...
NOS Telefunken - ECC83s (if you can find one and have pockets deep enough!)
NOS JJ ECC803s - Which is very similar to the above - infact I believe the Harma is a JJ, but a premium select / drive tested one, with a rebadge. I'll have to check my docs later.

NOS Mullard (if you can find one!!)

[quote name='johnnylager' post='494846' date='May 22 2009, 07:31 AM']Good work chap. I have a Ruby in mine [cheers Mert :rolleyes: ] - high gain, flat response, less top than the stock Sovtek - lovely.[/quote]
No prob!

I have the stock EH in my LH500, tried a Sovtek, Raytehon and a Ruby and none did it for me in the way the EH does. As eightball says, "loud, smoother and brighter up top. lows more defined and tighter".

Just wish I'd neve rsold my old Trace 12-band head with the Sylvania still in it, that would sound awesome in this methinks :)