Why become a member? ×

DR Lo-Riders

noelk27

Minor issues for sure, but have been struggling for some time to get the exact feel I've been used to from my Jazz. So, in an attempt to shake things up, in the hope of identifying a potential solution, after 20 years of use abandoned D'Addario Pro Steels in favour of DR Lo-Riders, and I have to say the difference in feel is profound. Using the same 45-105 weighting, the Lo-Riders feel more supple, with a perceptibly lower tension and less abrasive feel - that my fingers will thank me for over time. Although at £25 more expensive than Pro Steels, I'm sufficiently impressed to consider trying DR strings on a few more of my basses. My question though, for the DR users out there, and noting that the Lo-Rider is promoted as more a funk player's choice - and my sound is more finger-style soft(ish) rock - what different characteristics would I notice if I tried Hi-Beams?

Hi Beams are even more supple: the tension is the same or there abouts given the mass and length of the string are the same, the string is just easier to bend.

The tend to be a bit more sccoped sounding, I thing they have more top and more low end then the lo-riders do. You may need to lift you action slightly (hence hi beams) due to the extra suppleness of the string.

I love both, I have used Lo-riders and Lo-rider nickel on my 4 string to great effect, and recently got some hi-beams for my 5 string as it would be fine with a brighter string.

I dont believe the 'funk' thing for lo-riders, Marcus Miller uses a variant on the hi-beams, it dont get much funkier! And the Bootsy strings are nothing like Lo-riders (they are coated for a start).

Lo-Riders work brilliantly for me in a rock/pop context.

[quote name='51m0n' post='494910' date='May 22 2009, 09:51 AM']Hi Beams are even more supple: the tension is the same or there abouts given the mass and length of the string are the same, the string is just easier to bend.

The tend to be a bit more sccoped sounding, I thing they have more top and more low end then the lo-riders do. You may need to lift you action slightly (hence hi beams) due to the extra suppleness of the string.[/quote]

That's interesting, because I recently swapped onto Hi-Beams on a bass that had previously been setup whilst it had D'Addarios on and now it has a fair amount of fret buzz.

I love Hi-Beams! The D'Addarios were well harsh in comparison!

[quote name='AM1' post='494987' date='May 22 2009, 11:14 AM']That's interesting, because I recently swapped onto Hi-Beams on a bass that had previously been setup whilst it had D'Addarios on and now it has a fair amount of fret buzz.[/quote]

Were they they the same gauge ?