Why become a member? ×

String tension

Guest subaudio

Guest subaudio

Hi

I am searching for a new bass, the basses I have tried and liked a lot seem to have less string tension than a lot of other basses I have played, they dont have especially low actions and they still have a big sound.

Does anyone know what is it that gives this looser feel to the strings, is it the strings themselves, the fact the basses I like tend to be older and have "relaxed" more or is it set up ?

I used a hired carved bass on a tour last year labelled as a "Zandoner" and it was perfect , and is what I'm aiming for in my next bass but I cant find any info on them.

Many thanks

Guest subaudio

[quote name='jakesbass' post='494012' date='May 21 2009, 10:33 AM']Hi Sub, in my experience strings play a major role in tension, steel being the most taut and nylon feeling quite loose and everything eg hybrids inbetween. It seems to me (although I haven't experimented that much) that the looser a string is the fatter it is.
I will PM you also.
Jake[/quote]

Hi Jake

PM replied to.

Thanks for this, I have Spirochores on my bass and the strings on the other basses I have tried didnt feel all that much different apart from the tension, although I dont know what they were and I havent any real experience of other string sets to compare (£100 + a set for an experiment gets out of hand really quickly)

Good fun this double bass playing lark isnt it :)

There are so many variables - but I string type is the biggest. on my bass (EUB) I've used Spiros/Labella plastic/D'AddarioPizz /Innovation H and Rockabilly. They all had good points and bad points, but they all worked pretty well. My preference now is for low tension, dark sound so I'm very happy with the Innovation Rockabilly strings. I never thought I'd see £78 a set as cheap.

I have also seen a device that adjusts the distance between the tail and body (look on cliftonbasses.co.uk) with the aim of making the bass feel "tighter" or "more relaxed". No idea if its works!

Guest subaudio

[quote name='BassBod' post='494412' date='May 21 2009, 04:18 PM']There are so many variables - but I string type is the biggest. on my bass (EUB) I've used Spiros/Labella plastic/D'AddarioPizz /Innovation H and Rockabilly. They all had good points and bad points, but they all worked pretty well. My preference now is for low tension, dark sound so I'm very happy with the Innovation Rockabilly strings. I never thought I'd see £78 a set as cheap.

I have also seen a device that adjusts the distance between the tail and body (look on cliftonbasses.co.uk) with the aim of making the bass feel "tighter" or "more relaxed". No idea if its works![/quote]

Yep I saw that today as I was checking his site funnily enough, I am a little Intrigued, I do really like my bass and if I could get that relaxed feel to it I would save myself an absolute fortune.