Why become a member? ×

Geddy Lee 'Custom'

mcgraham

[quote name='Chest Rockwell' post='709094' date='Jan 11 2010, 05:41 PM']free bump.

I'm curious as to what thoughts people have on the mods here, in the context of the popularity of the standard Geddy's? Is it the price? or the mod's? or the weather?

hope this isnt muddying the waters, but hey, we're all adults so we should be able to be open about such things?[/quote]
Not entirely sure a for sale thread is the right place for such a discussion. :)

If the lack of a Fender logo or the mods are putting people off then they really are missing out on a phenomenal bass. I have tweaked this bass to near-perfection playability wise and also sound wise. If nothing else, I'd encourage anyone sitting on the fence to come and have a no-strings-attached (and no pun intended) play on this bass. Same goes for the fretless Jazz I've got for sale.

I am contemplating keeping this, as it is an 'old friend' so to speak. I just don't play it anymore and I'd be pleased to see someone else getting the playing time on it.

Mark

• 1 month later...

ooooh what a nice looking thing!

the mods sound fab, if i had the money! :)

I'm skint and i need a new amp,

though hope you don't mind me asking what differences in sound you find between Geddy Lee stock pickups and the Dimarzio pickups? I am a huge dimarzio fan but have never used any of there J pickups though i'm told the Area J pickups are great

Also did they just drop in or did you need cut some of the wood out to get them in?

just curious as i played a Geddy in edinburgh and a bloke in the shop said he had one but put Area J pickups in them for the same tone but more full and with more oomph

Edited by AttitudeCastle

AC, the Model J's are fantastic. They really turned the Geddy into a total plug-n-play bass. The stock pickups sounded thin and weak in comparison. The Model Js just have a huge amount of grunt to them, they have a thick usable tone out of almost any amp (and I've used this bass through some absolute shockers!).

I spent a long time (6 months!) reviewing pickups before opting for the DiMarzio Model Js and I can tell you they were the best mod I could've made to the bass.

They also slotted right in with no need to route, though it was quite tight so I can imagine some Geddy's may not be able to take Model J's without routing deeper cavities.

Edited by mcgraham

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...