Why become a member? ×

EH Bass Microsynth Version Differences

ritch

I had a quick search, but couldn't find anybody talking about this, but has anybody AB'd the big box Bass Microsynth and the new XO version?

I used the big box one all the time for various things, but it would save a hefty amount of space on my board to have the XO version (I could probably fit a whole other pedal on there!).

Just curious if anybody's noticed any differences in how it sounds/reacts? Is it the very same circuit, just layed out more efficiently, or have they changed some stuff?

Cheers

Rich

[quote name='ritch' post='492713' date='May 19 2009, 09:21 PM']Just curious if anybody's noticed any differences in how it sounds/reacts?[/quote]

Lots. Will write more in a minute if nobody else does.

Right...

Basically the old one just sounds better. It seems warmer and fuller somehow - it's difficult to explain. The new one sounds (and feels, in terms of how light it is and the feel of the sliders) a bit like a cheap knock-off of the old one to me. It might be better for some stuff - there's more available resonance and at the top end it sounds a bit more complex, but the bass seems to suffer a bit. Also I found with my XO model it would distort if you played low (beneath low 'A') notes into it with the sub-octave voice up. Finally the "Rate" slider on the new one is set up funny, most of the variation seems to be crammed into about a quarter of the slider's movement, making it trickier to recall settings.

As for the compactness, it doesn't make a massive amount of difference really. Once you've got a jack plug in either side and a power connection in the back you're not saving much room. And it can't be daisy-chained so it still needs a special power arrangement.

In terms of tracking, with the preamp gain set correctly they both have identical performance.

Try the new one if you get the chance, but don't sell your old one first. That's what I did, and ended up selling the XO and buying another old one, which isn't as good as the original old one I had (the stop freq. slider on it is a bit dodgy). :)

Oh and if you do decide to sell your old one, PM me. :rolleyes:

Edited by thisnameistaken

That's great. Thanks for the info - I'll wait until I see one in a shop or something and give it a go.

I've actually got two of the old ones, although one I'm trying to get fixed at the moment. But if the XO isn't a good replacement, I don't think I'll be selling either soon - need one as a backup!

I have noticed a difference between my two though, mainly in the trigger slider and rate slider, although I imagine some of that could be down to the internal pots that could be adjusted.

Awesome pedal though IMO - one of the best (Except for the bypass - I use a separate bypass box to cut it out)

Rich

Yeah it's a brilliant pedal. I've got other pedals that can do very similar stuff but I keep the BMS because for some things it's just unbeatable.

I actually waited for other people to judge the XO version before I bought one and everybody said yeah, it's just as good, go buy one. You can't trust the internets these days...

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='493170' date='May 20 2009, 12:22 PM']That's right, the XO is true bypass, that's why I won't change to the world version, which has a terrible bypass, because then I'd have to get a loop on my board just for it.[/quote]

There's a relatively simple true-bypass mod you can do to the old one. I haven't got around to it yet but the footswitch is 3DPT so all you need to do is re-route a few wires.

Fair enough though if you're happy with the XO model. It wouldn't do for us all to like the same things. :)