Why become a member? ×

Booming G note !!!

Hope this is the right place to put this mods. I have bought a Fender rumble 100 just for rehearsals. Last night was playing a song where I was moving from an E at the 7th fret of A string to a G on the 10th fret of same string. The volume made a dramatic jump almost boomy ," band leader kept saying' turn down, turndown even more'. I was then losing volume of the E note. I was playing with my EB Stingray. 

Now I have found the Rumble to be 'Boomy" anyway. Any ideas folks what could be happening.

Thanks in advance.

Posted (edited)

There could be various reasons.

Room could resonate on G - I once played several times in a room which reverberated horribly on A - as many songs were in A this was very problematic. 

I would try playing G at fret 5 D string - also is it possible you have the bass boosted on the bass or amp (I find the pre sets on Fender Rumbles can be problematic - in fact I’ve only used them in jam sessions - and found they can be very scooped (bass and treble boosted, mids cut). This could affect this. 

The G may sound louder dependent on what other band members are doing at that point (eg low notes on a keyboard, low bar chord on guitar; even the EQ ing of those instruments could affect this).

It may be worth you trying the Stingray with the amp and soloed - play notes up the E or A strings and see if they become boomier the higher you go - if so it’s possible the pick up is set too high - check against factory settings. 

Edited by drTStingray

With all of my basses I find that I have to set the pickup heights to the point where the low G doesn’t boom then adjust accordingly so the other strings match in volume. I never get boom on any of the other notes/strings. This has been the same across Precisions, Jazzes, Mustangs and Stingrays and with many different amps & cabs.