Why become a member? ×

Ashdown CTM 15 Hum

Posted (edited)

Hi 

I just bought an Ashdown CTM 15 and it's great but has developed a hum when plugged into a speaker. I just noticed it there, I take it a hum is not normal. Long time since I had anything with valves!

Cheers

S

Edited by steviedee

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Bolo said:

Try a different outlet?

Same speaker with a different amp?

Are the impedances matched for amp and speaker?

Tried a different power source, cable etc and a different amp and the speaker is matched, hum only appeared after a day. Amp is heading back!

Edited by steviedee
  • Thanks 1

Well new one arrived and there is a slight hum but I kind of expect that from a valve amp but much quieter. Also, I don't know if this is significant, but the first one I had, I had to turn the volume down on my old Stingray to get a clean tone now volume up full it's clean, as in valve type clean but not overdriven.

• Like 1

iirc the EQ does a lot of gain, turning up bass/mid/treble could overdrive it a bit more. Turning them down and the volume up should get a cleaner signal still.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bolo said:

iirc the EQ does a lot of gain, turning up bass/mid/treble could overdrive it a bit more. Turning them down and the volume up should get a cleaner signal still.

Thanks @Bolo that's really useful, I've emailed Ashdown to ask if a bit of hum is normal!

Could it be the caps?  From what i remember there were several threads on here when they first came out noting they arent ACTUALLY all valve

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pow_22 said:

Could it be the caps?  From what i remember there were several threads on here when they first came out noting they arent ACTUALLY all valve

Maybe, I’m actually a bit gutted as I REALLY like it. But the hum is too much. I’ve tried it in every socket in my house. I’ve got some new speakon cables coming out today. I’ll try another cab when I get a chance to go to the studio, which should eliminate mains hum and an issue with the cab. The only other amp I have at home is the little Hotone and it is completely quiet.