Why become a member? ×

Advice on budget for a pre-loved 3/4 upright

I'm happy with my EUB, yet have a yearning to play a nice wooden wonder. I've had a couple in the past at under a grand each.

I've not followed the market on upright acoustic basses, so need advice on what budget to achieve a mechanically sound and easy'ish action, nice sounding bass.

Extra info: I will want it for playing in the genre of folk/singer-songwriter music.

Plus; blue or black would be my preference over dark wood finish.

When I bought my first DB I got an older, used, solid top / plywood back and ribs, Eastern European model from the Double Bass Room for about £800 as I recall. I think I'd do the same now - you can sell it on again for what you paid for it, take it to a gig without stressing too much about it getting a knock, and it'll sound good and look the part.

Not sure about blue or black though, I think in general double basses just are all about the wood.

Posted (edited)

My upright is sub-£1000, it's a white-painted plywood model. It is probably this one, though I bought it second hand: https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_kontrabass_rockabilly_weiss.htm

I only play it pizz, and use it for bluegrass, jazz and worship music. It has had a pro setup, decent strings & pickup. I had to have a new end pin fitted after the original one self-destructed. I wouldn't pay anymore unless I moved over to classical or wanted to return to bowing. I actually like that it's plywood and not worth much as it's regularly gigged and I don't worry too much about it.

Edited by Rosie C
  • Like 2