Why become a member? ×

Hipshot hypocrite!

I've never been totally convinced about the real benefits of replacement bridges. In the 90's I did the usual high mass bridge "upgrades" to many of my Fender basses but ultimately went back to the original bent metal versions for aesthetics and authenticity reasons.

Likewise, I've owned a 2018 Rickenbacker 4003SW for a few years and tolerate the original bridge shortcomings. The intonation and saddle height adjustments are laborious and a bit of a compromise, but the end result is acceptable. 

So I thought I'd always stick with the original design that I prefer the look of, even above the latest Rickenbacker variant.

However, when a Hipshot replacement popped up on here I thought I'd see what gives.

Anyhow, all I can say is that this bridge has transformed how the bass plays. The intonation and string height are now perfect and the bass just feels more "alive" somehow. Sustain is improved and there's a bounce to the strings which Hipshot describes as a benefit of this aluminium version.

I would thoroughly recommend this bridge for the tonal and playing improvements, and the aesthetics have already grown on me.

20240424_191348.thumb.jpg.419540cce45b0f075607c70077d607da.jpg

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 6

• Sparky Mark changed the title to Hipshot hypocrite!

I did the same to my Ric and yes it was a transformation for all the same reasons you said. The Hipshot bridges and tuners are more often much better than what they replace!! Their customer service is also great

• Like 3