Why become a member? ×

Sharp edged bass

mrbacco

now, as usual, the first OSB floor picture of the bass, which is almost finished. I miss the strings and the machine heads that are arriving soon. 

Control plate modified to shar edges rather than rounded, plus installation of the pickup. I wanted to place a chrome ring around the pickup, but saince I am satisfied with the routing, this time, I think I leave it as it is. 

PXL_20240503_112205846.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20240503_112213898.PORTRAIT.jpg

• Like 2

On 26/04/2024 at 09:20, mrbacco said:

no idea where it comes from. I bought it on an auction from a charity shop, loooong time ago.

It's a Peavey neck, T-40 to be precise 🙂

Been broken then repaired but seeing as it was drilled to accept the Schaller tuning pegs, it's a sound repair 👍

Timely talk of Schaller tuning pegs, was hunting through boxes over the weekend and found 3 complete sets 😄 

If you decide to skip plugging holes and drilling new ones, drop me a line.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

It's a Peavey neck, T-40 to be precise 🙂

Been broken then repaired but seeing as it was drilled to accept the Schaller tuning pegs, it's a sound repair 👍

Timely talk of Schaller tuning pegs, was hunting through boxes over the weekend and found 3 complete sets 😄 

If you decide to skip plugging holes and drilling new ones, drop me a line.

thanks! appreciated the clarification on the head and the offer!! thanks! 🙂 

Edited by mrbacco

5 hours ago, mrbacco said:

now, as usual, the first OSB floor picture of the bass, which is almost finished. I miss the strings and the machine heads that are arriving soon. 

Control plate modified to shar edges rather than rounded, plus installation of the pickup. I wanted to place a chrome ring around the pickup, but saince I am satisfied with the routing, this time, I think I leave it as it is. 

PXL_20240503_112205846.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20240503_112213898.PORTRAIT.jpg

Looks awesome!

How are you going to wire the pickup?

I'd suggest 2 x series in parallel with 2 x series.

So you get two series humbucking halves in parallel with each other.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Looks awesome!

How are you going to wire the pickup?

I'd suggest 2 x series in parallel with 2 x series.

So you get two series humbucking halves in parallel with each other.

not sure ... at the beginning I wanted a very minimal design with just one knob for the volume, but now I got to two (V+T), and I would like to have the full power of the 4 in series if you know what I mean?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, mrbacco said:

not sure ... at the beginning I wanted a very minimal design with just one knob for the volume, but now I got to two (V+T), and I would like to have the full power of the 4 in series if you know what I mean?

I do, but I would think that will be at a high risk of it ending up sounding quite muddy, I honestly think 2 x series in parallel with each other would be likely to result in the best tone possibly with that pickup.

Powerful, yet defined and articulate.

That's at least what I would personally do.

But I suppose you can always rewire it if it ends up too woofy and muddy your way.

In any case one way or the other the wiring of it won't end up more complicated than the other, it's just a matter of how you chose to connect the wires from the pickup with each other.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mrbacco said:

I would like to have the full power of the 4 in series if you know what I mean?

Know exactly what you mean.

ShortyGreen(1).thumb.jpg.81902f27be013350cbf0a3fdd3c03589.jpg

Baby bass with a Warman Drivetrain. If your green quad coil is the one from Amazon, 17.8K DCR and 8.25H, the Drivetrain is near 2X; 28k DCR with alleged 20 H. One thing though; should you be looking for 'Mudbucker', neither will get you there 😒  Stick it up by the neck , you'd have mud 😎 Sadly not in roughly the P-bass position, I learned that after installing a 29.9k hum cancelling 51 footprint in my slab body.

DSC_0283.thumb.JPG.d13aaf7617fffdd052e33011219c443e.JPG

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 04/05/2024 at 16:03, kodiakblair said:

Know exactly what you mean.

ShortyGreen(1).thumb.jpg.81902f27be013350cbf0a3fdd3c03589.jpg

Baby bass with a Warman Drivetrain. If your green quad coil is the one from Amazon, 17.8K DCR and 8.25H, the Drivetrain is near 2X; 28k DCR with alleged 20 H. One thing though; should you be looking for 'Mudbucker', neither will get you there 😒  Stick it up by the neck , you'd have mud 😎 Sadly not in roughly the P-bass position, I learned that after installing a 29.9k hum cancelling 51 footprint in my slab body.

DSC_0283.thumb.JPG.d13aaf7617fffdd052e33011219c443e.JPG

Yeah ... The warman drivetrain is a beast. I have in the second P51 style bass I assembled and it sounds a lot nicer compared to the green one, which is, as you correctly stated, less powerful. But good enough for the money and for this project. 

I remember this baby bass, and at the time I said ... This is LOVELY! It stuck in my head probably when I was building this one. Love the color of yours too!

Edited by mrbacco
  • Like 1