Why become a member? ×

Help needed - Epifani UL-112 vs any other lightweight option

tremblap

Dear all

I might sound strange, but my favourite sound so far is my 1st generation Eden WT-400 + 410XLT. I love it, I will never part from it... except for the next year where I go on lightweight travel mode... and I tried my best and I cannot find the same sound elsewhere, so here goes my rant:

1) I sold my Acoustic Image Focus 2r, it was too clean and could not get my favourite tone even out of the 410XLT

2) I bought a 210XLT, sold it because it was too mid (not really lightweight)

3) I bought a second WT-400 and a Epifani UL-115, and this combination, though different, suit me. A little heavy on the bass, but nothing I cannot EQ out when needed. I left these in London as my rig#2. The amp is still too heavy and the cab too big for my need for the next year.

4) I bought a Genz-Benz shuttle6. In the 410XLT, I almost get the sound I like (this amp's EQ is not as powerful, it is a little brittle and the fan is noisy, but at that weight, I can cope. It is the nearest I could get with a lightweight, though I have not tried the Eden one)

5) I bought two Epifani UL-112, planing to sell one back (one of each generation that came on the forum 2 weeks ago) I have played with both, and even from the WT-400 I difficultly get the tone I want...

So now I don't want to start a flame war à la 'this sounds better' or 'this sucks', the only thing I need is someone who kind of agrees with my conclusions (if anyone) and then share their wisdom on what to replace (Shuttle and/or UL-112) to get a similar sound. That might not be possible, I agree.

Thank you for your help

pa

Rasta used to use an Eden and he swapped over to markbass gear. Might be worth taking a listen to some of their stuff to see if it hits the spot.

Edit: He was using a WT 800 and a 6x10 [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=41745&st=20&p=419424&hl=eden&#entry419424"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry419424[/url]

Edited by Musky

It might be worth trying an Epifani ul502 with your Epi cabs - I know that the 502 is not for everybody (and it weighs around 16lbs) but I'm really impressed with this amp - I find it airy, transparent, hi-fi and versatile (and the tone shaping is very responsive).

Thanks all for the input. Some more info that your thoughts have triggered:

- WT800 does not sound as good as WT-400. Go figure why, but a lot of user will confirm this.

- the eden small amp is not an option: no sweepable mid is unforgivable for me

- the mark bass amp have had a tiny sound both time I've tried them... maybe I should give them another try at bassdirect

- I've got 2 UL112 already, and even the WT400 does not make the same job: I still get a mid-bump, and the highs seem boosted...

Please do not feel I am being negative: I just humbly tell you all what I think, so maybe you will corner what I am after.

Thanks again for all your inputs

pa