Why become a member? ×

Play throughs and Covers

Rick05

Hi All,

I don’t know if this has been covered before but I’m starting to try and publish play through and covers, mainly to get me playing more and to improve my technique and recording skills. I find them useful to watch back and look at how I can get better. 

I wanted to ask about good practice for doing videos, so best software, techniques (do you record and play at the same time) or record first in a DAW and the film yourself playing after. 

Iv recently published my first one (link below), so would love to hear about ways to improve the videos.

Thanks

• Like 2

I've been thinking about doing the same as you and have similar questions about method.  Looking forward to some informed responses.  Your vid looks good by the way!

• Thanks 1

I use the Windows camera app, with my computer's webcam used to record the video and audio using my Focusrite Scarlett as the "microphone" with the bass going straight into that. Then I use Lightworks to combine and sync the video with the two audio tracks (me playing and the original track), topping and tailing it to remove me getting ready and starting/stopping the recording, to produce a final video file ready to upload.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, acidbass said:

I've been thinking about doing the same as you and have similar questions about method.  Looking forward to some informed responses.  Your vid looks good by the way!

Thanks mate, really appreciate that. 

I recorded this in logic and then filmed me playing along 

• 2 weeks later...

You’re moving your fingers on your right hand too much. This is a common thing but it’s wasted effort. As you play faster, you’ll struggle - but by straightening your fingers and focusing on economy of effort will help. That’ll help with the articulation, too. 

Your left hand is good. I’d work on getting more dexterity and finger independence. Loads of good exercises here.

Also, watch your thumb. You’re moving it a a lot, but you don’t need to. I used to show my students that you don’t even need your thumb to fret notes. In the end it’s there to guide you to the right position, not drag or inhibit movement.

Edited by Burns-bass
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

You’re moving your fingers on your right hand too much. This is a common thing but it’s wasted effort. As you play faster, you’ll struggle - but by straightening your fingers and focusing on economy of effort will help. That’ll help with the articulation, too. 

Your left hand is good. I’d work on getting more dexterity and finger independence. Loads of good exercises here.

Also, watch your thumb. You’re moving it a a lot, but you don’t need to. I used to show my students that you don’t even need your thumb to fret notes. In the end it’s there to guide you to the right position, not drag or inhibit movement.

Thanks, that’s really helpful. Could you elaborate more on what you mean by moving my fingers too much on my right hand? 

Also in terms of my thumb, do you mean anchoring it instead of swapping strings? 

19 minutes ago, Rick05 said:

Thanks, that’s really helpful. Could you elaborate more on what you mean by moving my fingers too much on my right hand? 

Also in terms of my thumb, do you mean anchoring it instead of swapping strings? 

So, when you pluck the strings you’re arching your fingers round and grabbing the string. You don’t need to do this, it’s wasted effort.

Instead, you can play more lightly which enables you to play faster. It’s hard to explain but your right hand is in control of dynamics. 

Your thumb anchor is fine. I meant your thumb on the back of the neck. Ideally you’d find one place (slightly under the mid line) and keep it there. Moving your thumb all over the place is likely to get you into trouble on faster passage.

To be honest it’s minor things as your playing is great.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

So, when you pluck the strings you’re arching your fingers round and grabbing the string. You don’t need to do this, it’s wasted effort.

Instead, you can play more lightly which enables you to play faster. It’s hard to explain but your right hand is in control of dynamics. 

Your thumb anchor is fine. I meant your thumb on the back of the neck. Ideally you’d find one place (slightly under the mid line) and keep it there. Moving your thumb all over the place is likely to get you into trouble on faster passage.

To be honest it’s minor things as your playing is great.

Ahh cool, that’s a great help. Really appreciate it, I’m always trying to improve