Why become a member? ×

NPD (Danelectro Cool Cat Metal & Cool Cat Metal II)

I've just bought 2 distortion pedals, the Danelectro Cool Cat Metal, as well as the Cool Cat Metal II, super cheap.

Haven't got them with me yet though.

Anyone got any info on these, like what they are based on, or clones of?

This is not the plastic FAB Metal, these are the Cool Cat pedals in metal eclosures.

(these pictures are not the actual units, just to give you an idea of what they look like and which control parameters they feature)

image.png.bea87307593affb26c3cdfc1417caa27.pngimage.png.a2984a79f3b3a67946a802b1dfe2f32f.png

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
https://www.dba.dk/distortion-danelectro-cool/id-1109710792/billeder/1/
  • Like 1

I don't have the same Metal pedal so I can't help you with that, however I do have a few of the others in the range.

Some of the Cool Cat range have extra dip switches to play with, these are located in the battery compartment and might not be obvious if you have velcro stuck under the pedal or always use a power supply.

I bought one of their distortion or overdrive pedals online, and thought it was the worst POS ever !

Before sending it back in disgust (honestly thought it was broken) found a dip switch that gave it an 8bit sound, turned that off... pedal sounded pretty good.

Suspect the seller didn't know any of this and was trying to offload what he also thought was a faulty pedal, probably why I got it at a stupidly cheap buy it now price.

The Cool Cat Vibe is a gem.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I found a source online that claims that the Cool Cat Metal is based on the preamp of the Fender Champ amp (not to be confused with the current production cheap solid state Champion amp), with some modification and a clipping diode in the gain stage, and that the Cool Cat Metal II allegedly is based on a heavily modified Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, among other the whole tone stack removed, and replaced for a High/Low Mid switch toggle, that can also be switched completely off.

Should prove interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 09/04/2024 at 15:00, Baloney Balderdash said:

I've just bought 2 distortion pedals, the Danelectro Cool Cat Metal, as well as the Cool Cat Metal II, super cheap.

Haven't got them with me yet though.

Anyone got any info on these, like what they are based on, or clones of?

This is not the plastic FAB Metal, these are the Cool Cat pedals in metal eclosures.

(these pictures are not the actual units, just to give you an idea of what they look like and which control parameters they feature)

image.png.bea87307593affb26c3cdfc1417caa27.pngimage.png.a2984a79f3b3a67946a802b1dfe2f32f.png

On 10/04/2024 at 01:02, Baloney Balderdash said:

I found a source online that claims that the Cool Cat Metal is based on the preamp of the Fender Champ amp (not to be confused with the current production cheap solid state Champion amp), with some modification and a clipping diode in the gain stage, and that the Cool Cat Metal II allegedly is based on a heavily modified Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, among other the whole tone stack removed, and replaced for a High/Low Mid switch toggle, that can also be switched completely off.

Should prove interesting.

So I finally got yo try these two pedals out.

And The Cool Cat Metal sounded absolutely terrible, and not in any possibly good way, like someone cranked the bass control of their amp and the speaker blew, and to add to that the stacked knobs are near impossible to operate as they will turn together, and the way the are located doesn't help that fact, just an all together horribly bad and absolutely useless pedal in every possible way, to such a degree that I wonder if mine actually works as it is supposed to.

Not exaggerating when I say this is possibly the worst pedal I ever had the displeasure of playing through. 

The Cool Cat Metal II however is an entirely other beast and it sounds pretty f***ing amazing!

As you can read above allegedly the Cool Cat Metal II, unlike the Cool Cat Metal, is based on a Metal Zone, but heavily modded, and with the entire tonestack scrapped and replaced for just a Hi/Lo mids switch, which though can also be turned Off completely, and this is where this pedal really shine, like a much tighter, ballsier and punchier Metal Zone, non of the signature fizz and buzz that the Metal Zone is otherwise infamous for, just sounds absolutely incredible, and works extremely well for bass.