Why become a member? ×

Rees basses

casapete

Went to the Manchester Guitar show last Sunday, and got talking to a nice bloke on the Rees Electric Guitars stand.
They are a small Cambridge based company, who build guitars and basses. The bass that attracted my attention was this.
Full 34" scale, yet very light and compact. Body made of Korina,maple neck,Duncan pickup. £595.
Anyone got one/tried one - comments welcome. Cheers.

[quote name='casapete' post='489850' date='May 16 2009, 02:59 PM']Went to the Manchester Guitar show last Sunday[/quote]

I wanted to get to the show to try that very bass, but couldn't make it.

I presume you had a go on it while you were there - how did it feel and sound ?

Only tried it without plugging it in. Felt very..er....small! Have been looking for a short scale bass for a while that I can get on with,
but this may be the answer. The bridge is positioned right at the end of the body which helps with the compact design.
Neck felt quite 'full' and round - my preference over smaller profiles. Didn't get to try it on a strap to check for balance/neck dive etc,
so hope thats okay-the small headstock and extended upper horn presumably help with that.

Must admit I'm not crazy over the aesthetics of the bass, but as a practical gigging instrument that's light/compact and yet full scale with
a decent pickup it's got me wondering. The guys on the stand were very friendly and helpful , and recommended calling at their workshop
to try the bass out without being drowned out by 10 guita*rists at the show! I quite fancy having a bass built to order-seem to be lots
of wood/colour options available. Their website is www.rees-electric-guitars.com