Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Seller skimming on Chickenbackers

2 hours ago, NikNik said:

Fanbois of the worst kind. Worse than the Ernie Ball shower.

Well, the Fender market is a mess, awash with "upbranded" fakes hoping to catch people out.

I've seen people caught out with fake Rics and there are incompatible parts being sold as replacements on eBay.

So I wouldn't be too sneery at the (albeit self-appointed) defenders of the faith.

I think there is quite a difference between a fake ric, which I don't think any agrees with, and a ric styled bass. It is pretty obvious that none of those chickenbackers are rics or trying that hard to be like them.

56 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I think there is quite a difference between a fake ric, which I don't think any agrees with, and a ric styled bass. It is pretty obvious that none of those chickenbackers are rics or trying that hard to be like them.

'cept some of the sellers post pics of real Rics.

I'm confident I can spot a faker, but others, maybe relatives buying presents or just newbies.

It's not just newbies who get taken in either: a couple of years ago there was a shop which posted pics of the lovely blue Ric they had in for servicing, only to be ridiculed out of town by a barrage of "It's a Chickenbacker!!!" replies.

51 minutes ago, prowla said:

'cept some of the sellers post pics of real Rics.

I'm confident I can spot a faker, but others, maybe relatives buying presents or just newbies

Again, what i said, that is just a fake ric, or fraud. That is different to something that is clearly not a ric but ric shape. If you advertise something as a rickenbacker, and it isn't, that is clear fraud. If you advertise something as a ric shaped bass, that isnt fraud.

4 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Again, what i said, that is just a fake ric, or fraud. That is different to something that is clearly not a ric but ric shape. If you advertise something as a rickenbacker, and it isn't, that is clear fraud. If you advertise something as a ric shaped bass, that isnt fraud.

In the context of the Ric police, they are likely the ones flagging up the fraudulent overseas sellers.

And fraud ain't going to get you too far if the seller is on the opposite side of the globe.

There's loads of "Rickenbacker"s in Aliexpress at the moment.

Or even in the UK: just search eBay for "Rickenbacker truss rod".

There was a number of 12-string "R" tailpieces on eBay a week ago, but I can't find them anymore; maybe words have been said.

screenshot-20240502-184022.png

Posted (edited)
On 02/05/2024 at 18:43, prowla said:

In the context of the Ric police, they are likely the ones flagging up the fraudulent overseas sellers.

And fraud ain't going to get you too far if the seller is on the opposite side of the globe.

There's loads of "Rickenbacker"s in Aliexpress at the moment.

Or even in the UK: just search eBay for "Rickenbacker truss rod".

There was a number of 12-string "R" tailpieces on eBay a week ago, but I can't find them anymore; maybe words have been said.

screenshot-20240502-184022.png

And 3 days later a Chinese site with a pic of a real Ric...

image.png.5d7bd79bf11d04cdac72976127f1eb8c.png

Edited by prowla