Why become a member? ×

Help with Kongpressor

rainbowreality

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to compressors but I'm a bit puzzled with the behaviour of my Kongpressor.  When I increase the squash (turning it clockwise) it also increases the volume. Is this normal behaviour for the Kongpressor as you'd think more compression would lower the volume?  Also on many youtube videos you see the orange light triggering while they play but on mine it takes a crazy amount of boost - I have to put my passive bass through a pre-amp ramped up to get it to light up, is that normal behaviour for the Kongpressor or should I return it?

Many thanks if anyone can help!

That's what happens with the compressor in my Orange 4Stroke amps. It's supposed to do that on the amp head. It could be just the way Orange build their compressors.

Email Orange and ask them, they have alway been very helpful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2elliot said:

That's what happens with the compressor in my Orange 4Stroke amps. It's supposed to do that on the amp head. It could be just the way Orange build their compressors.

Email Orange and ask them, they have alway been very helpful.

Good to know that's a normal function! And thanks for the tip on emailing Orange, I'd read on another forum their customer service was iffy but maybe they were just unlucky!

More compression lowers the spikes in volume to bring them in line with the body of the signal. More compression also raises the lowest troughs in volume resulting in a total output that is more predictable and can be overall louder without sudden spikes. The volume knob is there to bring the total output to desired level. This affects how heavy your signal hits the rest of the effects or preamps in your signal chain.