Why become a member? ×

Guess what's in the case!

kwmlondon

It’s certainly a lovely one, and if it’s all original from new with the case it’ll sell easily, even if it’s not it’ll still sell, mine is very slightly earlier looking at the serial number, they really are superb basses, good luck sir 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

It’s certainly a lovely one, and if it’s all original from new with the case it’ll sell easily, even if it’s not it’ll still sell, mine is very slightly earlier looking at the serial number, they really are superb basses, good luck sir 

Thanks. Very kind. And if you own a bass like this one well, I can absolutely see why. Just noodling around on the thing I feel like I've got an icon in my hands, you know?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, kwmlondon said:

I own three basses and that's too many for me - I'm actually getting rid of one.

OK, you're going to have to walk me through how this works now... ;)

2 minutes ago, neepheid said:

OK, you're going to have to walk me through how this works now... ;)

Let me rephrase that. I have three basses. My Dingwall Combustion 5 is perfect for me and if anything ever happened to it I'd buy another one and it'd be just as good. The '89 Stingray I've had since 1993 and I love it and want to be buried with it. The third one is a nice bass but I just don't play so I'm getting rid of it. 

At the moment I think that rather than having a third bass I'd actually prefer to upgrade the preamp and bridge on Combustion, you know? I'd really like a passive tone control again.

What I WOULD like would be to borrow a bass. I've never had a Ricky, it'd be interesting to mess around with one, or an Ovation Magnum. But I don't think I'd like to have the hassle of owning one.

Okay, here are some in the sunshine. It could definitely do with a clean and polish... and a setup but hey. The action is miles higher than I normally go for but it's fun to dig in!

IMG_9580.jpeg

IMG_9581.jpeg

IMG_9582.jpeg

IMG_9583.jpeg

IMG_9584.jpeg

IMG_9585.jpeg

IMG_9578.jpg

IMG_9579.jpg

• Like 5

Just checked serial number against online lists and it's coming up as a 1973. I wonder if Arthur has gotten confused which year he bought it... I hope that's all it is! He's quite elderly and it was a long time ago.

6 hours ago, kwmlondon said:

Just checked serial number against online lists and it's coming up as a 1973. I wonder if Arthur has gotten confused which year he bought it... I hope that's all it is! He's quite elderly and it was a long time ago.

Serial numbers can't be relied upon to date it. The pots will have date codes, as will the neck and the pickups.

Lovely bass btw

Rob

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

Serial numbers can't be relied upon to date it. The pots will have date codes, as will the neck and the pickups.

Lovely bass btw

Rob

Thanks, that’s really helpful to know. I’ll see what the bass gallery fellas say. On my way there now…

Edited by kwmlondon

34 minutes ago, kwmlondon said:

Bass now handed over and I must admit I’m very relieved to have got it to its destination safely! 

Cool, be interesting to see what they have to say and how much it goes up for 

39 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Cool, be interesting to see what they have to say and how much it goes up for 

Yeah, deffo. I'll post a link once they put it up online - it'll also be really fascinating to see the neck joint and electronicy bits and the pickups if they take 'em out. They are a nice bunch in that shop. Arthur is a canny old cove but there's a lot of very slick rip-off merchants out there so I wanted to put his prized Precision in good hands.

• Like 1