Why become a member? ×

Marleaux Consat Custom 5 String Neck Through VScale (Multiscale) Black
£2900
Caterham, Surrey

edwn

Wow! Just look at it! Lush ebony fingerboard, smooth and sensual matt neck-through, great pickups, gentle fan frets which take about one nanosecond to get used to, all hand crafted in Germany with master-grade precision and attention to detail by Gerald Marleaux. When you see video of their workshop, there's no computers or CNC in sight, just an old bandsaw and a lot of chisels and rasps ... serious, high quality German chisels and rasps of course ...  I love the grain of the maple neck and the ash wings, don't you? The way it just .flows. ...

2024-03-26_181053.thumb.jpg.ccf9c223b76f64543d341e5b5ee4b456.jpg

This fine bass has to find a new owner as I'm reverting back to 4 strings (having been on a very happy decade-long journey through 8, 6, and 5 string basses). Purchased new from Thomann in 2023, I am obviously taking a major hit on this but hey ho I went in with my eyes open. Snap up a bargain while you can.

Body: Brushed Ash
Neck: Maple
Fretboard: Ebony
Controls: Vol, Pan, Active Bass Mid Treble, singlecoil/serial/parallel switches, passive/active switch
Neck: Multiscale 34-35"
Construction: Neck Through
Bridge: ETS
Tuners: Schaller

Case: Gig Bag (I know, WTF? But many high-end makers are only suppling gig bags these days, and it is a very nice one ...)
Colour: Satin Blackburst
Current List Price: £4694 (See options pricelist image)
Condition: Like New

Cash on Collection from Caterham, Surrey or willing to meet up up to an hour away.

sm-Screenshot(12712).thumb.jpg.e9f1e1fe9438eda19cd92719964d98b9.jpg

sm-16904030.thumb.jpg.e13e2294870d3a61b994aca24c2bb49e.jpg

sm-IMGT0084.thumb.jpg.c1514b898e7f77aec1b0c819340a3684.jpg

sm-consat-price.thumb.jpg.dad13672b953087cff1ae455890ac02c.jpg

Edited by edwn
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 10/04/2024 at 09:20, lowregisterhead said:

Lovely. What's the spacing at the bridge please? I struggled to find much info on the ETS site.

*Edit* According to the Marleaux site, it's 19mm.

Thanks for your question.   The saddles can adjust for width.

This photo is from when it was strung EADGC and shows about 19mm string centre to string centre. I ended up with the G and C strings are a little closer together than that. (I quite like variable/compound spacing so the acutal air gap / finger space between the strings is about the same)

The bass now has the original Marleaux BEADG set back on. I have adjusted the spacing to be 19mm across the board. They could go down to perhaps 18 and maybe up to 20; not sure.

spacingIMGS9991.JPG.61ec0a45db7ab5b37da30c58421a2ebd.JPG

Edited by edwn
  • Thanks 1