Why become a member? ×

Weird tone control effect.

I have the Harley Benton 5 string MM lookalike bass.I've noticed that the tone control is acting like a volume control.When opened fully it will increase the output considerably and when turned down with both volume controls up full will reduce output to nearly nothing.Cant be right surely?The bass is passive.Any pointers guys?

The tone control is probably just a simple capacitor (which passes high frequecies but not the lows) Turning the knob will short the signal to ground cutting out all the high frequecies. If the capacitor is short circuit then it cuts everything. The capacitor is probably wired from the middle prong on the control to the round case of the potentiometer. check that only one wire is touching the metal case and only at the soldered joint. If not the capacitor may be damaged internally (a capacitor costs a few pennies)

OK lads I've had a look.Firstly the pots are tiny wee flimsy things and the wiring seems a bit untidy,but,far as I can see,everything is where it should be and the cap doesnt seem to be shorting anywhere.I was thinking about doing a rewire with some more substantial components.I know its a cheap bass but I like it.Thanx for the input.

I'll see how things are when I change the cap.I've noticed that the pots are tiny and dont look up to much.Likewise the wiring.Apart from that the bass plays fine,has a comfortable neck and actually looks great.Thanx.

• Like 1