Why become a member? ×

DAW n00b advice - Interfaces, Synths, Pedals

northcountrybob

Hello! 

I thought I'd post here. I've been after some advice on putting together a basic setup at home but also recommendations for a bit of kit. 

So far I have... 

Lenovo T490 Laptop w/ Reaper. I quite like Reaper and I've been putting some time into setting it up. 

HX Stomp as an interface. I've been using this for guitar as I don't seem to have latency issues but thinking of getting a proper "interface" 

Akai LPD8 MKII. Been using this purely to get drums onto a midi track

Sitala plugin. I used this to hold samples which get triggered by the LPD8. 

Cheap earbuds for monitor. 

With that setup I can just about lay down scratch tracks if I want to try writing some guitar/bass/drum parts but I've been listening to some stuff like Seefeel and Ulrich Schnauss and expanding a bit on that would be fun. 

I could do with a better interface. Been looking at the Arturia Minifuse 2 as it has midi outs I could potentially use to sync stuff. Like my HX Stomp and Context 2. Maybe there are better bang for buck interfaces on the used market? 

I could do with some headphones. I'm thinking Beyer DT770? 

I also wondered if anyone here uses a something like the Arturia minilab to control their DAW and also play in some  synth lines?

Further down the road I think I'd like to try a Hydrasynth but that needs saving up for!  

I'm very new to all this stuff but I think I have thought about the main bits of the setup. Not sure how to arrange phones, interface, and keys in some order of priority... hmmm 

IS there a synth/home setup gallery thread? 

A few thoughts. The DT770s are closed-back 'phones - perfect for preventing the sound of a backing track leaking into the microphone if you're recording vocals, but not ideal for mixing / monitoring - they won't be as comfortable and the sound will be somewhat compromised. You haven't mentioned a microphone or wanting to record vocals, so if monitoring / mixing is your main use case then I would definitely consider a decent pair of open-back headphones. Beyer DT990 for example, or Sennheiser HD650.

Re: MIDI, I would still connect your HX Stomp and LPD8 via USB (the HX Stomp will still be accessible as a MIDI device even if not using its USB audio) so unless you are considering adding non-USB MIDI kit it's not really a consideration. The HX Stomp actually works as a pretty decent interface if guitar/bass is the only 'out-of-the-box' instrument you're using - the main reason to upgrade to a 'proper' interface would be if you want to introduce a microphone(s) into your setup. At that point there are a multitude of choices, the Minifuse 2 being one of them, that are functionally almost identical. Personally I like the MOTU M2 / M4 as a portable interface - dead simple, rock solid and just work.

Arturia controllers have a good reputation, but I've never used one. It depends what you want to use it for, but for me a two-octave controller would be useless - I'm a pianist and need to be able to play full parts. But it may be fine for what you want to do - just make sure the very small keyboard will actually work for you. I have used Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol keyboards which I really like, and they ingrate fantastically with my DAW (Cubase), not sure about Reaper. My controller is a 76-key Yamaha SY99 from 1992 - still going strong!

If it were me I would also definitely budget for some monitors. I find long periods working on any type of headphones fatiguing, and much prefer to work on speakers.

Hope that's helpful!

I wasn't familiar with Seefeel and Ulrich Schnauss, but just had a listen. Don't fall into the trap of thinking you need hundreds of plugins - it sounds like you need one good delay and one good reverb. This will depend on your budget, but there are lots of delay options at all prices - personally I like the vintage sound of SoundToys EchoBoy but it is quite heavy on your processor and is quite expensive. I think the Relab LX480 reverb would be a great fit for that type of music, and the Essentials version is on sale for $29 atm.

Synth-wise.... there is a huge range of VSTs. My advice would be to get only one or two and really learn how to use them - the temptation is that you need lots of plugins to get different sounds, but you really don't and it can just become a distraction. I have accumulated way more synth VSTis over the years than I know what to do with, and 90% of the time it's u-he Diva that gets used. Also look at what software bundles you get with the controller keyboards - Arturia has its ecosystem as, for example, does Native Instruments. For the kind of music you gave as a reference, I would be reaching for Diva and Native Instruments Massive X (incidentally a similar sound engine to the Hydrasynth) from my collection, but there are lots more choices.

Another pointer for instruments is Spitfire Audio's free LABS range - lots of really interesting stuff there and it's all free.

Thanks so much! This is exactly the kind of advice I was after. Really appreciate it. 

I won't be using my setup to record a whole lot of mic'd up amps and vocals, so DT990's seem like the way forward. I live in the standard issue tiny London flat so if I need to be loud it means going to a studio. 

I didn't think about syncing via USB. I only have the HX Stomp and Context 2 that accept midi and I've never tried doing anything with the midi on either, but having those synced to the DAW seems like it would be a good idea. I was thinking that clock distribution would have to happen over a variety of cables... like sending midi clock to the HX Stomp via USB, but then from the midi out to the Context 2 via a 5 pin to TRS cable. I didn't consider clocking everything over USB but I can give that a go... might need a little USB hub. 

I've got some of the free Spitfire plugin's. A reverb I think? I can also pick up Helix Native with a discount since I own the stomp, which seems like it might be worth it. 50 quid i think. And yeah... shopping around controller and their software bundles is a great idea. 

Studio monitors I'll have to kick down the line a bit which is a bit of a bummer! 

1 hour ago, northcountrybob said:

Thanks so much! This is exactly the kind of advice I was after. Really appreciate it. 

I won't be using my setup to record a whole lot of mic'd up amps and vocals, so DT990's seem like the way forward. I live in the standard issue tiny London flat so if I need to be loud it means going to a studio. 

I didn't think about syncing via USB. I only have the HX Stomp and Context 2 that accept midi and I've never tried doing anything with the midi on either, but having those synced to the DAW seems like it would be a good idea. I was thinking that clock distribution would have to happen over a variety of cables... like sending midi clock to the HX Stomp via USB, but then from the midi out to the Context 2 via a 5 pin to TRS cable. I didn't consider clocking everything over USB but I can give that a go... might need a little USB hub. 

I've got some of the free Spitfire plugin's. A reverb I think? I can also pick up Helix Native with a discount since I own the stomp, which seems like it might be worth it. 50 quid i think. And yeah... shopping around controller and their software bundles is a great idea. 

Studio monitors I'll have to kick down the line a bit which is a bit of a bummer! 

It's always worth having a look at the Native Instruments 'Free' offerings. Some decent Instruments and FX to get you going, plus they always have good upgrade prices and sales going on.

Another vote for the Motu M4 here. I've had mine quite a while now, it is very solid and works great at very low latency for recording.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/catalog/free/

On the subj of reverb plugins there are some nice freebies out there. I'd recommend the following:

Variety of Sound Epic Plate 2   https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/2023/09/18/epicplate-mkii-released/

Variety of Sound have recently released an ambience reverb called Clouds. I haven't tried it yet but VoS is a good developer so you might want to give it a go.

Klanghelm Tens Jr - cut-down version of the Tens spring reverb  https://klanghelm.com/contents/products/TENSjr

Sanford Reverb - good general purpose reverb and very controllable, Windows only.   https://www.lesliesanford.com/vst/plugins/

Reaper stock reverb Reaverbate is OK as a starting point but I like to use the stock reverb convolver Reaverb. This has its own editable reverb generator but - more usefully - it can load reverb impulses.

You probably already know this but there are a number of free reverb impulse libraries out there including natural spaces like caves, rooms, concert halls and samples of vintage reverb units. These impulses can be loaded into Reaverb

There's a particularly nice selection of edited Lexicon 480L reverb sounds at  https://www.housecallfm.com/download-gns-personal-lexicon-480l  There are also some well-regarded Bricasti impulses out there but I've not used them.

Download the impulses into their own directory, insert Reaverb on the track (or a send) then browse to the directory and load a reverb impulse.

Kenny Gioia explains better in this video 

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Thanks 1

Because 'Skankdelvar' mentioned Convolution Reverbs, I thought this link might be handy if anyone is looking for a free Convolution Reverb VST along with some (interesting) free IR's. At the top of the list is 'Convology XT' by Impulse Record. Defiantly worth a look, even if you have a CR.

FREE Convolution Reverb VST Plugins and IR's

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if this is any help in your search for a new interface, but I've just put my Babyface Pro up in the for sale section ?

*If this is inappropriate please remove mods*

There are a lot of software sales on at the moment Korg Collection, Plugin Alliance etc