Why become a member? ×

Mac Sonoma & its 14.4 Update

Magister Ludi

If you run any mac with recording in mind,and use the latest software,you will no doubt have heard of the cappucino clowns latest update cockup-re iLok and various toys from our us cousins that no longer work due to some java issues.

at this point we are waiting for the gay accountant to up his game and release an update to repair the damage.If he doesnt it will foobar a gooddeal of work taking place.and render some very expensive hardware up the creek.....hmmm

just a thought-do any of our crowd use these thangs? an if you do,hows this affecting you if do use it?

at present this appears a slow burner,but..........

TBH the problem is with PACE who run the iLok system which has been flakey for years and who appear not to have sufficient resources to test new versions of Mac OS when the beta copies are released to developers.

Well Red,

I'm not happy with iLok (never have been to be honest mutter mutter musicmafia etc lol)

But in this case I do believe apple has seriously stuffed this update up,and all who sail in goodship musicbiz are getting the apathy full-on.

It would appear that there are many awaiting 14.4.1 - its rare that the 'ringdwellers' make this size foul-up,that affects all manner of computer uses and functions.

The danger is that the twits in the front office decide to force version 15 on us & forget about sorting the issues,hoping we all get distracted by more emojis or somesuch-

meanwhile iPlonk,the plugins and the hardware we all spent dosh on just gets shuffled out of view (because as has been shown,it doesnt affect most of the apple children-'eek what is music production?')

As usual no word from the accountants as to whether they will deign to make this issue one that they will deal with with any haste .....ranttette over,lucky me I have alternative gear in the studio that I can use,others......🥴

I've solved the iLok problem by simply not even entertaining the notion of having any software that requires it on my Mac.

IMO iLok is brilliant idea, but the company that currently owns the technology doesn't have the resources to properly support it to the level that is required by their users.

You need to face up to the facts that everything points to insufficient testing by PACE. The problem only affects M2 and M3 Macs - maybe PACE couldn't afford to buy one in order to check out the pre-release versions of the OS. It is their responsibility to ensure that their product keeps up to date with the platforms they support. It is also my experience with both music software and copy protection, that many developers think they know best and try and make use of loopholes in the OS rather than properly optimising their code to make it run as efficiently as possible within the guidelines set up by the OS. Therefore it is unsurprising when it breaks with a subsequent OS update because the they haven't followed the rules.

Also unless you have just bought a brand new Mac there was no reason to update your OS in the first place.

8 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Also unless you have just bought a brand new Mac there was no reason to update your OS in the first place.

This.

My DAW Mac is currently on Monterey, only recently upgraded from Catalina, and only because one piece of software I wanted required MacOS 12 minimum. It'll probably stay on Monterey for the rest of its life as a DAW; I will probably replace it in around 18 months (it's a 2017 iMac, so it'll be eight years old by then).

There's nothing in the OS updates that gives a Mac any new features or better performance with respect to music, yet those updates often break components of the DAW software, plugins and drivers, so I don't see any point in upgrading. I have a policy of never installing a major point OS update on any Mac until it has been out for at least a year, after bugs, compatibility issues etc. have been identified and ironed out. 

• Like 1

As a hard rule, I never update MacOS on the studio Mac until I have seen confirmation from Avid, Universal Audio, PACE and Sound Toys that they all play nicely, I let the early adopters take all the pain.

Too many botched updates in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding Ilok , I purchased the moogerfooger plugins from a third party website . All good , until I had issues with Ilok.

However , I got lucky as out of the blue  Moog sent an email to a link that means I don't have to use Ilok anymore . Hurrah! 

I don't think my 2017 iMac will go as far as  Sonoma  , so in theory I shouldn't have much to worry about in the ltd software  stuff I have . That said , there is another update tonight apparently  on Ventura . I've just restarted the iMac now . 
Crapple seem to be doing updates almost weekly now , on my iPhone and iPad .  They are like bored hyperactive children with no boundaries.  The hassle that the updates were causing me , were mainly Reason who were slow to catch up . Hopefully , this update won't upset it again ..

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

• 2 weeks later...

Still a few Native Instrument things to get sorted. Battery 4, some FX, but the real bugbear for, me at least is a problem between

Logic Pro, Sonoma, and the KK S49mk3 keyboard. 

According to NI, it's for Apple to solve. However, the rest of my stuff is fine