Why become a member? ×

Power to the Purist

Ou7shined

I have the privilege (I hope) of winning this VT1 on the bayzers.

[attachment=25253:_BR5MNqw...k_v____1.jpg][attachment=25252:_BR5Meu_...DCS____1.jpg]

It doesn't come with a psu though. Does [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=400032678334"]this[/url] little guy look ok?

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='488436' date='May 15 2009, 02:21 AM']I have the privilege (I hope) of winning this VT1 on the bayzers.

[attachment=25253:_BR5MNqw...k_v____1.jpg][attachment=25252:_BR5Meu_...DCS____1.jpg]

It doesn't come with a psu though. Does [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=400032678334"]this[/url] little guy look ok?[/quote]

Hi,

Don't make them anymore but a good pedal, I use one on my board.

We recommend the Maplin L49BR power supply.

Dave

Cheers Dave.

It arrived 15 minutes ago (pretty good for ebay).

My local Maplins doesn't have the L49BR in stock - and to be honest I'm not a fan of interchangeable plug psu's.
How does the [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=227631"]N12GN[/url] sound? It's only 1000mA.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='488979' date='May 15 2009, 03:25 PM']I'm really itching to play through it.
Maplins is about 15 minutes away from me can you please let me know if the N12GN would be ok Dave? :)[/quote]

Only just picked this up.

It might be okay. The issue is not the current but the regulation, poor regulation and it will hum. The recommend supply is known to be almost hum free.

No harm in trying it other than the cost.

Dave

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='489792' date='May 16 2009, 01:35 PM']Ah right, thanks.
It didn't come with a manual obviously so I'm just winging it with the bits n bobs I've read on here. I'll chance it and let you know the out come.
Cheers.[/quote]

Download the manual for a MK3 or Std from the website - www.davehallamps.co.uk

Thanks, I had seen that already and imagined that it didn't apply as much as it mentions a lot more knobs than I've got.

Well the psu works fine - no hum. :)
It isn't a great fit, slightly on the loose side but it didn't fall out at all the whole time I've been playing with it over the last few hours.

First impressions leave me firmly on the fence as to whether this is the pedal for me though. I been using my Tech 21 VT Bass but found it a little too bright sounding with my LMII/Schroeder rig and the grit a little too much in your face. The VT-1 Purist is the opposite. Although it has just the right amount of grit I'm after, it also adds too much warmth. I must admit that if played with a pick this is alleviated and the top end crunch shines through - alas I play finger style. It doesn't seem to agree with the active mode on my bass (OPB3) which has a thicker sound but sounds best switched to passive (Lindy Fralin Jazzes) - normally it's the other way round. :rolleyes:

What I'm after is my usual killer sound for some songs but then some added grit without straying away too much from the original sound for others. I also want a late night knock at the door from Kelly Brook but that ain't gonna happen either. :lol: I need to play with it more and explore more settings.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='490010' date='May 16 2009, 06:14 PM']Thanks, I had seen that already and imagined that it didn't apply as much as it mentions a lot more knobs than I've got.

Well the psu works fine - no hum. :)
It isn't a great fit, slightly on the loose side but it didn't fall out at all the whole time I've been playing with it over the last few hours.

First impressions leave me firmly on the fence as to whether this is the pedal for me though. I been using my Tech 21 VT Bass but found it a little too bright sounding with my LMII/Schroeder rig and the grit a little too much in your face. The VT-1 Purist is the opposite. Although it has just the right amount of grit I'm after, it also adds too much warmth. I must admit that if played with a pick this is alleviated and the top end crunch shines through - alas I play finger style. It doesn't seem to agree with the active mode on my bass (OPB3) which has a thicker sound but sounds best switched to passive (Lindy Fralin Jazzes) - normally it's the other way round. :rolleyes:

What I'm after is my usual killer sound for some songs but then some added grit without straying away too much from the original sound for others. I also want a late night knock at the door from Kelly Brook but that ain't gonna happen either. :lol: I need to play with it more and explore more settings.[/quote]

The latest models have a bright switch and an i/p pad which would fix the things you speak of. I am always developing new models or adding features to old ones after hearing useful comments on forums such as this one.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='490010' date='May 16 2009, 06:14 PM']What I'm after is my usual killer sound for some songs but then some added grit without straying away too much from the original sound for others.[/quote]

See if you can find someone locally with a VT2 Twin (or similar) - I suspect that would give you what you want. I bought one a few weeks ago to replace my VT3 rackmount.

With the VT2 I can go with true bypass, have channel #1 set up with lots of boost but not much extra gain, channel #2 with lots of gain but not much boost, and overdrive (ch.#1 --> ch.#2) delivering everything all at once.

Four different sounds, but all recognisably the same bass + same player.