Why become a member? ×

Would it be possible to make a pedal that switches the signal chain

iamapirate

When you plug an overdrive in before a wah, it gives a completely different tone to plugging in the wah before the overdrive. So I was wondering if it was possible to make a true-bypass-non-eletrical-without-a-chip-board pedal that when you hit it, it changes the signal chain from one to the other. Something like this would be cool but I don't have any circuit diagrams.

Edited by iamapirate

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='488347' date='May 15 2009, 12:03 AM'][url="http://www.woboge.com/boxes_inverter.html"]Wobo[/url] do one, I think a few others do too.[/quote]

Yes the Wobo Inverter delivers exactly what you need - passive operation, easy to use, just what you're looking for!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='488895' date='May 15 2009, 02:01 PM']Their site says it uses relays and requires quite a lot of current. Not so passive, maybe.[/quote]

A relay is just a "powered switch". Relays can be setup to switch over as many contacts as you want with one press of a footswitch. This can be relay useful (hah - did you see what I did there ? :) )

The current is used purely to operate the relay and is completely isolated from the signal side of the pedal. A relay-operated switch is more likely to be genuine "true bypass" than a normal mechanical switch.

The power is also used to operated LEDs so that you always tell which way the switch is currently set - this is very useful on a dark stage when you can't remember which way the unit i switched.

[quote name='The Cooler King' post='489211' date='May 15 2009, 07:05 PM']If you're interested I could build you one, I built the same thing last year for another guitarist to do just this thing. I think I've got enough parts around me to do it.[/quote]
How much would that cost me? Ideally I'd like to make it myself, but I don't have the circuit diagram

haha ty!!!

EDIT

Thanks for all the help. I'm going to try out the one on the beavis audio site (http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/PedalHacker/OrderSwitcher.gif) as it looks like the easiest to do (no offense at all to paint :))

Thanks again for the help

Pirate

Edited by iamapirate

[quote name='iamapirate' post='490781' date='May 17 2009, 07:39 PM']How much would that cost me? Ideally I'd like to make it myself, but I don't have the circuit diagram[/quote]

Could do it for say £30, just to get the parts used up I have spare on my workbench.

EDIT - just seen that you're building one, but if you don't go through with it I can do you one in a few days.

[quote name='iamapirate' post='490930' date='May 17 2009, 10:14 PM']haha ty!!!

EDIT

Thanks for all the help. I'm going to try out the one on the beavis audio site (http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/PedalHacker/OrderSwitcher.gif) as it looks like the easiest to do (no offense at all to paint :))

Thanks again for the help

Pirate[/quote]
no worries its the same layout except you can actually follow that one haha.