Why become a member? ×

Switches

Dimbo question here for you lot that are wire headed nerkoids. :)
The switch on my Alembic pre amp is so far into the back of my 19" rack that it's a real pain to reach it. (the amp is only about 6 inches deep)
It is a valve pre and I've always assumed that the switch inside would cut the power supply in some way that is acceptable to the electronics (I assume cos knowledge on this is not in my possesion) is switching off at the mains (whilst leaving the on/off switch in the on position) a bad idea as per my assumption or does that method of cutting the power supply effectively do the same as the on/off switch?

I would be most grateful to hear some informed opinion on this.

Cheers

Jake

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='488280' date='May 14 2009, 09:39 PM']Dimbo question here for you lot that are wire headed nerkoids. :)
The switch on my Alembic pre amp is so far into the back of my 19" rack that it's a real pain to reach it. (the amp is only about 6 inches deep)
It is a valve pre and I've always assumed that the switch inside would cut the power supply in some way that is acceptable to the electronics (I assume cos knowledge on this is not in my possesion) is switching off at the mains (whilst leaving the on/off switch in the on position) a bad idea as per my assumption or does that method of cutting the power supply effectively do the same as the on/off switch?

Cheers

Jake[/quote]

Doing what you want to do should have zero detrimental effect. I had an Alembic F1X in a rack which was plugged into a rear mounted power strip. The rear on/off was left on permanently and came on whenever I plugged the power strip in. It's not like a valve power amp that has separate switches for the heaters and the HT, there is just the one switch which does everything. They are proven good old fashioned technology.

[quote name='obbm' post='488394' date='May 15 2009, 12:05 AM']Doing what you want to do should have zero detrimental effect. I had an Alembic F1X in a rack which was plugged into a rear mounted power strip. The rear on/off was left on permanently and came on whenever I plugged the power strip in. It's not like a valve power amp that has separate switches for the heaters and the HT, there is just the one switch which does everything. They are proven good old fashioned technology.[/quote]
Cheers Obbm, it's kind of what I thought but wanted to be sure. Thanks
Jake

[quote name='jakesbass' post='488280' date='May 14 2009, 09:39 PM']Dimbo question here for you lot that are wire headed nerkoids. :)

Cheers

Jake[/quote]

Just to do a "what he said", the power swictch will be - almost certainly - the first thing in the mains connection. Absolutely no different from pulling the plug out of the wall.