Why become a member? ×

What are the names of these chords?

I really like the sound of these chord shapes, especially the first one, but even the online app, from which the following screenshots are from, doesn't know their names:

image.png.cc75d86bf7f896e9aa03f73c96c7a4fb.png

image.png.20a213420d15533bfa3fbdbf66f574a6.png

image.png.a762a767acc56050d6c6bd42618b01e6.png

What are their names?

Edit!!!: By the way this is the online app that I used, which can either show you just about every chord and scale in existence in whatever key and tuning you'd desire, or identify whatever chord or scale in any key or tuning you should desire (well except in this case it seems, but usually): https://chord.rocks/bass-guitar

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

...the third one is a tricky one as C# and D are a minor second so I'd see that as an alteration of a C chord (as G# is the fifth could be maj or min). I think you'd spell it as C# flat 9 or something like that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A couple of side notes: these could likely be seen as inversions of something else, depending on context, but I am not good enough to figure those out. Also, in the first two chords what might have been confusing was that the 5th was missing. But that's pretty common on bass as you don't want to play too many notes as it gets muddy and you focus most on the nores that best define the chords. So mostly you play the 5th only when it is a diminish fifth, else it is implied.

Indeed, those 4-string chords played down the neck would easily sound muddy already on most basses with typical eq IMO

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Paolo85 said:

A couple of side notes: these could likely be seen as inversions of something else, depending on context, but I am not good enough to figure those out. Also, in the first two chords what might have been confusing was that the 5th was missing. But that's pretty common on bass as you don't want to play too many notes as it gets muddy and you focus most on the nores that best define the chords. So mostly you play the 5th only when it is a diminish fifth, else it is implied.

Indeed, those 4-string chords played down the neck would easily sound muddy already on most basses with typical eq IMO

First of all thanks for your replies, much appreciated. :i-m_so_happy:

To mention the context, this is on my just 28.6" scale Ibanez Mikro Bass, which I've strung with gauge .068 - .052 - .038 - .028 guitar strings and tuned to tenor bass, A# standard, tuning, that is 1 half step above the upper 4 strings of a six string bass, pretty much exactly half way between regular 4 string bass E1 standard tuning and regular E2 standard guitar tuning (so in the images shown the lowest root note would actually be D#, rather than A as otherwise displayed).

So it is pretty much possible to do chords over the entire register of the bass without it ending up sounding too muddy, despite the fact that I do have it EQ'ed more like a typical bass than a typical baritone guitar.

It also helps that I will usually not strum the whole chords but rather just play the individual notes of a given chord one by one (though often not muting the previously played ones, so that it will still ring as a fully harmonized chord), and that I often won't actually play the chord note of the lowest tuned string either.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

First could be C#/A (could be c#m/A, too) or Amaj7.

The second one is a major third doubled.

The third one is C#add9 or c#madd9.

I and III do not reveal their major or minor character, therefore C# or c#.

Now, quickly, someone is needed here to adjust us to the right track!

• Thanks 1

I did think something didn't look quite right, and these are the actual chords I was inquiring about:

image.png.1651ce626e6204a46ae1d7b96407b5d2.png

image.png.0c63caeb25cdc5f10b5568b2b71cf1c9.png

image.png.2c2c4f45c4b27c7b726d9e07a6509edd.png

I guess basically the same, except A not really being the root note, and then the shape of the last one.

Just a case of a brain fart of me thinking up the wrong shapes compared to what I actually play.

Yes same, except in the first two the third is played only once. In the last one, however, there is no alteration now. If D is root, A is 5th and C# is major 7th. So it would be a Major 7 with the 3rd omitted.

• Thanks 1

In this version, the first could be D with a 7th added but missing the 5th. The second is just a major third and you can't say much more about it than that. The third one is ambiguous. It could be a chord of D with a major 7th, but it's missing the third so you can't tell if it's major or minor. Or, it could be a chord of A with an added 11th in some sort of inversion... but I think that's stretching it as there's no 5th, 7th, or 9th...   

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, zbd1960 said:

but it's missing the third so you can't tell if it's major or minor. 

You're right actually. That could also be a minor chord in a melodic minor scale

Edited by Paolo85
  • Like 1

I'm guessing that the site is looking for full chords for identification, e.g. looking for root, 3rd and 5th (and optionally 7th plus extensions) to determine the chord.

It looks like the 5th is omitted from the first two chords, and the 3rd from the last chord, which is probably why the site is saying "no chords found".

Omitting these is common enough when playing though, especially when playing with other instruments that provide some of the missing context.

So I'd probably see these as:

1st is a D major 7 chord (Dmaj7), but missing the 5th

2nd is a D major chord (D), again missing the 5th

3rd is more ambiguous, as others have mentioned. It could be written as e.g. Aadd4/D, A11/D etc. since it has the root and 3rd of A major, with a 4th/11th added (the D). I guess someone might also write it as D5maj7 (root, 5th, major 7th), but not sure if that's a technically correct way or writing it.

But context will matter a bunch too - since you're playing chords all around D major, I'd tend to think of them as Dmaj7, D, Dmaj7 (but omitting the 3rd when playing) rather than anything more complex.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1