Why become a member? ×

Aerodyne Jazz Bass

Huw10

So i'm playing one of the Japanese only ones I think, with the curved top (which means i can't put a Badass on it without surgery)

The problems I've been having all the while with this bass are that the bottom string gets really 'warbley' for want of a better word. It's pretty alright open all the way up to fret 5 or 6 then it just starts to sound pretty nasty. This isn't helped at all by the fact i tune down to DAdG, but I unfortunately need those two notes for my band. I replaced the pickups with wizrd PJs and this improved the tone quite a bit, even on the bottom string, but the more i play it, the less happy with it I get (Andy from Wizrd pickups did a great job though.

The bass has been properly set up and all that stuff, but it just ain't giving me what I want. As of late i've been thinking about upgrading my head to something real nice like an orange Ad200, but I'm worried incase I experience the same bottom string problems.

Any advice? time for a new bass?

Different strings?

Have to say I've not had a problem under normal tuning with the G string.

And you can fit a badass to an Aerodyne, I did to mine for a little bit (and even wrote about it if you check the BadAss FAQ in Repairs and Technical Issues), you just need to create a shim, ideally of hardwood or metal to fill the recessed cavity and then you can mount the badass so it makes proper contact.
It will damage the finish though if you want it to be as flush as possible to the other raised bits of the body and you do it up tight.

Or you can route out a bigger area, but that's a permanent mod.

[quote name='Buzz' post='487942' date='May 14 2009, 02:36 PM']Different strings?

Have to say I've not had a problem under normal tuning with the G string.

And you can fit a badass to an Aerodyne, I did to mine for a little bit (and even wrote about it if you check the BadAss FAQ in Repairs and Technical Issues), you just need to create a shim, ideally of hardwood or metal to fill the recessed cavity and then you can mount the badass so it makes proper contact.
It will damage the finish though if you want it to be as flush as possible to the other raised bits of the body and you do it up tight.

Or you can route out a bigger area, but that's a permanent mod.[/quote]

by the bottom string i meant pitch-wise i.e. the 'E' string ('D' in my case), sorry!

i've got round wound stainless steel ones on at the moment. there rotosound though, so i might try and get my hands on a new set.

re: putting in a shim, wouldn't that raise the action to quite a height? also... i'm useless with mods/diy of any variety :)

cheers for the help though

[quote name='Huw10' post='487937' date='May 14 2009, 01:29 PM']So i'm playing one of the Japanese only ones I think, with the curved top (which means i can't put a Badass on it without surgery)

The problems I've been having all the while with this bass are that the bottom string gets really 'warbley' for want of a better word. It's pretty alright open all the way up to fret 5 or 6 then it just starts to sound pretty nasty. This isn't helped at all by the fact i tune down to DAdG, but I unfortunately need those two notes for my band. I replaced the pickups with wizrd PJs and this improved the tone quite a bit, even on the bottom string, but the more i play it, the less happy with it I get (Andy from Wizrd pickups did a great job though.

The bass has been properly set up and all that stuff, but it just ain't giving me what I want. As of late i've been thinking about upgrading my head to something real nice like an orange Ad200, but I'm worried incase I experience the same bottom string problems.

Any advice? time for a new bass?[/quote]

What gauge string do you have for the low D string , maybe going a gauge heavier would help, worth a try , I tune DGCF with power slinkies , the D is a .110 gauge and it sounds good but it would definately sound better with a .115

[quote name='neepheid' post='489969' date='May 16 2009, 05:30 PM']+1 for trying a heavier gauge of string with the low tuning.[/quote]

In that case, Matt, your services will be require again soon!

I'm not gonna buy a new valve amp and still have my bass sound gash!

Would highly recomend the highway1's...they sound awsome and are a great price. (PIC:-Sunburst jazz on the right of avatar)

Also the parts are USA made which is bonus (if i remember rightly they make the body and neck in the states then send it to mexico for assembely)

And the new ones are already fitted with a badass bridge.

Sadly the machine heads are plain "economy" style ones, the same they use on squiers...they get the job done but i could recomend replacing them.

Edited by Greene-Mann

[quote name='Greene-Mann' post='492494' date='May 19 2009, 04:47 PM']Would highly recomend the highway1's...they sound awsome and are a great price. (PIC:-Sunburst jazz on the right of avatar)

Also the parts are USA made which is bonus (if i remember rightly they make the body and neck in the states then send it to mexico for assembely)

And the new ones are already fitted with a badass bridge.

Sadly the machine heads are plain "economy" style ones, the same they use on squiers...they get the job done but i could recomend replacing them.[/quote]

cheers for the info man. I knew it was essentially the same hardware as a American Jazz bar a couple of components. The guy I was talking to today said that he played an MIA and his Highway One side by side and he preferred the Highway One... at £549 you can't really go wrong?! Need to get on the scout for some second hand ones.