Why become a member? ×

CNC fab of Sinsonido DIY PCB

sandy_r

Not sure how much longer i'm going to be able to successfully complete fine-detail work, so i'm going to try for a bit of a blitz to round off a few legacy projects...

This one is to upgrade my DIY JFET preamp for my Aria Sinsonido travel bass (which i use as an EUB). I bought a small CNC kit a few years back, which i've used to make PCBs for a non-audio application, and i thought i'd see if it could produce a more professional-looking module than my rather scrappy-looking attempt on veroboard:-

SR_Sinso_Vero_Pre.jpg.f01ffff059fbc4d855e689d0d41f7efe.jpg

Sinso-JFET-Pre-Schematic.png.71e1cc2634aaa392f740635089bff564.png

Schematic for the JFET Pre

Photo below shows an initial test mill of the PCB v0 (Laid out using PCB Designer on a Linux-type platform). After a bit of a shaky start, i managed to complete the mill run and all signal traces show good continuity between pin pads (and importantly - no continuity to the infill copper!). I copied and hand-edited the Gcode drill-file to add a 3rd pass which increases the connector pin sizes up to 1mm (from the default component pin diam of 0.8mm). Hoping to do a full, clean run (without the initial glitches) next week

Now waiting on delivery of new parts to populate the board - then test my eyesight, and hand-steadyness, with soldering and installing in the bass for test

SR_Sinso_Init_CNC.jpg.b01dcf85c7e80338fdcb0de26cefdba5.jpg

Edited by sandy_r
  • Like 6

[TL; DR...]

Fast Forward to photos of v1, revised with better solder pads for battery wire connection - populated, soldered, continuity-checked, control looms made & fitted

SR-Sinso-CNC-JFET-Pre-Back.jpg.1c7cdc82f

SR-Sinso-CNC-JFET-Pre-Top.jpg.fc12fba6bc

Edited by sandy_r
  • Like 2

[TL; DR...]

Fast Forward to photo of completed CNC milled PCB installed in bass (Aria Sinsonido)

SR-Sinso-CNC-JFET-Pre.jpg.9842d9e282179fa887e7d7d7de499382.jpg

Tone shaping provided:

Sinso-JFET-Tone-Graph.png.9d010e6241e09e177fd27846243155f8.png

(a) 8-12 o'clock: Bass boost, Treble cut; (b) 12-4 o'clock: Bass cut, Treble boost

Audio clip recorded using new CNC milled PCB (Tone at 12 o'clock; ground-wound strings; direct into Samsung tablet)

Edited by sandy_r
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SamIAm said:

OMG ... brilliant!

I've a 3018 (tho I still need to clean it up from fire damage) this would be a great first thing to try it on post refurb!

Sam x

This method seems to be quite widely used for low-volume, quick turn-around runs - and can give very good results

Some folks seem to struggle with getting consistent depth of cut, despite Z-Axis mapping of the work+support surface but i suspect that is more of an issue on the larger machines - so far i haven't needed to go to those lengths (laminate flooring offcuts seem to provide a more stable and closely-controlled thickness for the 'sacrificial' board)

Hopefully, your machine wasn't affected by the heat of the fire, otherwise you may find that some of the 3D-printed parts have warped slightly, causing misalignment of the frame and binding of the drive threads

Good luck if you decide to give it a go

Posted (edited)

First full mill-run looks ok - and continuity all good** - but i'm not pleased with my pad layout for the 2 thicker Veropins i have to use for +/- power; this run will probably be ok to populate and use but i'd rather edit the layout to add rectangular pads for those 2 pins (being the largest diameter holes here, at approx 1.5mm) (i'd planned to use narrower-profile pins, which i've got squirreled-away somewhere, but free time has been tight due to some unexpected hospital appointments)

(** reflections from the liquid flux applied to the board look like copper 'bridges' in some places)

SR-Sinso-Pre-PCB-Full-A.jpg.d702119c0dc50255a86551b6b20b1e23.jpg

Edited by sandy_r
  • Like 3

I've edited the layout to add wider pads for the thicker Veropins (and used the revision to move a decoupling cap further away from the corner of the Jack cutout) - Gcode files all exported and edited for Grbl controller s/w - full mill-run #2 within next few days hopefully

On 22/02/2024 at 10:49, sandy_r said:

After a bit of a shaky start, i managed to complete the mill run and all signal traces show good continuity between pin pads (and importantly - no continuity to the infill copper!).

SR_Sinso_Init_CNC.jpg.b01dcf85c7e80338fdcb0de26cefdba5.jpg

A basic question I should have asked at the start: what is the board you are milling? I assume it is a ready-made item with a thin copper plate bonded to an insulating board?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Richard R said:

A basic question I should have asked at the start: what is the board you are milling? I assume it is a ready-made item with a thin copper plate bonded to an insulating board?

Yes, i'm using a single-side copper-coated pcb blank

This board is made of a phenolic type material, not quite as high quality as glass-fibre based boards  (which are blue- or green-looking) - but it doesn't blunt the drills and bits in such short order, and the dust is not quite as nasty

Edited by sandy_r
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hah - almost snatched Disaster out of the jaws of Victory ...the Gerber Control app crashed partway through the run!

Fortunately, it was possible to re-align sufficiently and edit the Gcode to continue from the previous trace

Continuity all good, happy with new pads around the power Veropins, and so - on to the 'soddering', as my colleagues across the pond used to say

SR-Sinso-Pre-PCB-v1.jpg.4f6ff28bc544bac3d1111834623b86fe.jpg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

PCB populated & soldered; soldered-joint continuity checked ok; control looms made

...next stop - installation, power-check and circuit test (*can't find nail-biting emoji*)

SR-Sinso-CNC-JFET-Pre-Back.jpg.1c7cdc82fa1f29dd2e93fdebe89d9c27.jpg

SR-Sinso-CNC-JFET-Pre-Top.jpg.fc12fba6bca8f32004740c0ef0d3ccd0.jpg

Edited by sandy_r
  • Like 3

Completed CNC milled PCB installed in bass (Aria Sinsonido);  JFET inserted in socket; battery connected, current drain measured as 1.2mA; wires from 2x electret bridge mics and switching jack loaded into connectors;  control cavity shielding extended under control cover, grounded to jack

...time to try it out - annnddddd ....

Silence!

Ok, who put all these switches and controls on a preamp?!?

Eventually, 3 brain cells later... phew, it works!  For absolutely no technical reason, it sounds better than the vero protoype (will try and post some audio clips, in due course)

SR-Sinso-CNC-JFET-Pre.jpg.364e9bab56d1236f1f7e16064f5728db.jpg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Richard R said:

Very neat. Which shouldn't affect the sound, but probably does. 😉

Thanks Richard, yes agreed, the layout shouldn't make a difference - no high frequencies or extreme impedances involved - more likely that variation in component values could be noticeable

An ad hoc comparison** of the new PCB with a recording of its vero prototype suggests that the new PCB has a slightly more 'bassy' profile - suits me! 

(** based on phrases of notes played, low A to mid D, Tone at 12 o'clock for both)

SR-Sinso-Pre-Proto-CNC-Compare.png.3fd36be1639e85c152621b92c5344e26.png

Red - New PCB __________ Green - Vero prototype

Edited by sandy_r
colour blind!
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

here are some audio clips of the CNC PCB installed in the Sinsonido (fretless, but hopefully, not too Boingy, Richard? 😉)

Ground wound strings, recorded direct into Samsung tablet

Tone EQ flat:

Tone EQ at max bass:

Tone EQ at max treble:

Edited by sandy_r
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Richard R said:

Boingy is good. I like the max bass version.

...seriously thinking of changing my username to boingybassman

i was interested that the Tflat position still seems to have a reasonable 'bass' content - i think i would start there, but its useful to have some measure of boost for either bass or treble, not just cut

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Figure 1 shows the single-adjustment tone control which provides a symmetric EQ response that is flat at the center of the adjustment range

Sinso-JFET-Pre-Tone.png.cc1b3202aac4b7b1b757d92bcecd93af.png

Figure 1. Single-adjustment tone control for Bass

Moving the control in one direction simultaneously boosts the bass and cuts the treble until about 5.5 dB of boost and 23 dB of cut are obtained. Moving the control in the other direction boosts the treble and cuts the bass in an identical fashion. Figure 2 shows the typical curves obtained from approx 5 Hz to 20 kHz with a 340Hz centre frequency, for the lower half and upper half of the control range, respectively

Sinso-JFET-Tone-Graph.png.9d010e6241e09e177fd27846243155f8.png

Figure 2. The tone-control circuit delivers good response characteristics 

in both the lower half (a) and upper half (b) of the control range

Insertion loss (at centre) approaches 6 dB. Since this is a passive circuit, all component values can be scaled, if required, without affecting the AC transfer-function.(Keep the source impedance low and the load impedance high. In this application the source is <10k ohm, and the load > 400k ohm)

The audio clips posted above were recorded at the EQ flat, Max Bass and Max Treble positions

Edited by sandy_r

1 minute ago, itu said:

This is so called tilt-eq. Can be found in some Steinbergers, Quad preamps and so on.

Actually it dates back to early wireless (er, radio) days, i believe - when the 'Tone' function was usually limited to a single control (if any)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, itu said:

Yes, surprisingly rare nowadays, although very powerful in just one knob. I think Quad had also another switch to choose the desired tilt frequency.

Quad amps ..."Wire - with gain"!