Why become a member? ×

Fixing a high spot on a fret

Martin E

How do I fix a high spot on a fret ?

To clarify I don't mean the whole fret is high, I'm just getting a buzz on the D string.

I 'm well used to doing set ups, neck relief etc but hesitate at touching frets. But this would appear to need just a tiny amount taking off the fret under the D string so I'm hoping just a touch or two with an appropriate file or whatever will do the trick.

Any advice please on the best way to tackle this?

Hi,

It's strange that it's one particular string. Do you string up in normal tuning? i.e. the D string is your second string? It's unusual for it not to affect all the strings. If you do touch one fret it's often a challenge to nail it without it effecting those around it. I would suggest taking it for a fret dress. They will grind all the frets down and re-crown them. They can also check for any high frets being pushed up by shrinkage etc. 

A 'high spot' is often due to a low spot in the fret before it, causing your string to choke on a certain note. The solution here, is to dress the frets to get them all nice and level again.

Hope this is helpful, and not insulting!

Cheers. Message me if you like as I don't follow threads as I get swamped! Good luck!

When you say, 'just getting a buzz on the D string', is that at multiple fret positions?

If it is a few high spots, I did a 'Quick and Dirty' guide not so long ago - I'll try to dig that out...but if it is buzzing at more than two or three specific positions, then there is probably something else afoot and the quick and dirty method may cause more problems than solve them!

I'll dig out the 'quick and dirty' in the meantime

Thank you both for your replies.

To clarify the bass in question is a 4 string Jazz in normal tuning.

This is my regular player, I have a very light touch and I enjoy a nice low action.

The bass plays very well as it is but I am aware of just a little fret noise at the 11th fret and

mainly on the D string. Investigating with a fret rocker it would seem the12th fret is just a tad high in that area. So it is indeed just one high spot I am talking about.

I am probably being picky, the bass plays almost perfectly, certainly not a case for a full fret dress and raising the D at the bridge a little would stop it. But as far as I can see just a tiny amount taken off the treble side of the 12th fret would cure it.

I did read of a 'quick and dirty' solution on here myself sometime but I'm blowed if I can find it. It may well have been you Andy so really appreciative of any of your usual good advice.

Thanks

Martin

I just finished a refret on one of my guitars where the same issue happened on the third and fifth frets (and 11th). The fingerboard was dead straight and recently re-radiussed.  I took a fret rocker and fret file and slowly pared the fourth and sixth frets down ever so incrementally until there was no more rocking.  After restringing it played buzz free. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Martin E said:

I did read of a 'quick and dirty' solution on here myself sometime but I'm blowed if I can find it. It may well have been you Andy so really appreciative of any of your usual good advice.

OK - here's the main 'Quick and Dirty Method' that I posted a while ago.

But first let's start with the warnings/disclaimers/just general common sense stuff:

Warning:  This is NOT the way a pro-luthier would do it because it doesn't involve re-crowning and re-polishing the frets and other important stuff.  The method is merely intended as a quick fix on your own bass and at your own risk.  Also, the absence of a full finish-polish means it's not great if you string bend on your bass (most of us don't).  And don't do this on someone else's bass or any particularly valuable one!!!  :)

1.  Quick and Dirty way of finding and tackling high spots on frets 

Use the straight part of an old credit card to use as a 'rocker'.  Put the straight edge over 3 frets (use both hands...my other hand here is holding the camera) and does it rock?  If it does, then it indicates a high spot at that string position for the middle fret of the three.  Do this next to each string for that middle-of-the-three fret and repeat all the way up the board.  Normally, when I'm not holding a camera, I would be holding the other side of the card with the other hand and just gently applying pressure on either side.  Make a note of any high spot on a simple chart:
 c7pjUbyl.jpg

2vqkmK6l.jpg

You must be using the straight part of the card edge and not where it starts curving at the corners and also the edge must be covering only three frets at a time.  As the frets start closing up, just use the shorter edge to make sure you're still only covering 3 frets:

zTUDT8Dl.jpg

On a bass, for the first few frets, a credit card isn't long enough.  Anything straight and thin will do! :

JTy7tQcl.jpg

Note, by the way, that you can't check the 1st fret (rare that this is an issue if the nut is cut properly)

Next - on the frets where there is a high spot, mark the top of the fret with a non-permanent sharpie:

SUfG2Z5l.jpg

Then take an emery board nail file (most supermarkets, Boots, etc):
 635DGCBl.jpg

Use your finger to apply pressure and file gently back and forth in the direction of the fret and where the high spot was under that particular string.  The sharpie line disappearing will show you if you're filing in the right place which only needs to be under the actual string that you marked an 'X' against on your plan.  A bit either side is OK but don't stray to another string's position unless that was also marked as high.  Make sure while you do this bit that the emery board is level so you don't scratch the fretboard itself (and if you have the opportunity, protect the wood with a couple of thin strips of masking tape).

eA2cNrMl.jpg

Check frequently with the credit card until it doesn't rock anymore THEN STOP!

If you have a whole fret that appears to be high, first check that it is seated properly on the fretboard.  If it isn't, tap it lightly along the fret with a hammer and recheck.  If it's still high, then use the emery board, potentially along the whole fret - but check with the credit card at each string position frequently so you don't overdo it.

The fret top will be slightly flat where you've levelled it.  On a bass, Quick and Dirty says don't worry about that - I would defy anybody who says they can hear an intonation difference (although you can on a 6 string electric).
Also the fret top will be slightly scratched.  But the scratches will be along the fret direction and shouldn't give a problem.  If it worries you, a fingernail buffer will polish those out to a decent extent (what's a fingernail buffer?  Ask wife/partner/sister/mother...they will be in the same area as the emery nail boards)  

• Like 6