Why become a member? ×

Best rehearsal room rig ever?

3 hours ago, MichaelDean said:

We rehearse in the live room of a studio, and they've got an Ashdown 810 in there. I find it's total overkill for the space, but apparently they've had a few 410s and people have destroyed them whereas this has the power handling to cope with the abuse.

I have noticed that at some practice studios, all the volume and gain knobs are well past the 3 o'clock position from the previous user. Mostly in Pirate where there's nobody on site to manage the place so I assume it was how the previous bassist set up. No wonder speakers cones get blown.

The other common theme at the 2 Pirate studios I've used is a pervasive smell of weed everywhere 

I like Pirate as a company and we have done sessions and festival gigs for them, but the individual spaces can be hit and miss. The one near me turned into a bit of a hangout as it was one of the few spaces open through lockdown for "streaming" purposes and there was no real oversight of whether you were streaming or just having a party. I'm sure Pirate try to minimise it but not having anybody on site to crack down is a big issue and ultimately a room hire is a room hire for them.

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Rich said:

I used to rehearse at Soundlab in Loughton, Essex, I played through an Orange Terror bass head into an Ampeg 8x10, simply the best sound I have ever got.

That'll be the cab, the Terror isn't a great amp. Tons of power but a horrible preamp. I've met a few bassists who use them and just run an external preamp in to the effects return to bypass the Orange preamp.