Why become a member? ×

EMG PJ Set - Help needed!

TRBboy

Hey folks, I'm having a bit of trouble...  😬

A local bass player asked me if I could have a look at her Ibanez, which she'd attempted to install an EMG PJ set in, but was getting no sound. No problem! I'm pretty good with wiring, and although I've never installed EMGs before, I knew that they were solderless connections, just click and play, right?! 🫣

She's bought a VVT setup, but added an extra tone pot. As far as I could tell when I opened the back up, and referring to the schematic, it was all wrong. Now, only one of the diagrams in the instructions covers VVTT config, but it also includes a toggle switch. I tried wiring out up the same but ignoring the toggle switch bit, no sound. So then I figured I could 'cheat' the system, and wire a pair of jumpers into the green terminal block where the switch would connect, to fool it onto thinking a switch was connected. And I got sound out of it!

The problem is, both volumes control both pickups now, so you can't solo either... 🤦🤦🤦

I'm starting to think that she either needs to go VVT, or add in a toggle switch, as these two options are covered in the instructions.

Does anyone here have experience with EMG systems and can offer any wisdom?

Thanks 🙏

Screenshot_20240128-162947.png

PXL_20240128_211341602.MP.jpg

Hi,  

Looking at the EMG schematic and instructions you would need the toggle switch to select /solo pickups using the green connector.

It looks like your wire links on the green connector is linking both bridge (BR) and neck (NK) to output (O) permanently (in parallel)  , i.e this would be mid position of 3 way toggle.  

Have you got a 3 way suitable toggle switch you can install to confirm this? 

looking at the instructions, VVTT should be achievable  (diagram #7/8 ) with this setup too (with a 3 way switch)  and the 2nd tone pot connected 

Thanks Neil 

Screen Shot 2024-01-28 at 23.03.39.pngScreenShot2024-01-28at23_36_31.png.7291e07959dd05920e265e5f21086111.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-28 at 22.55.44.png

h__instructions_0230-0106rg.pdf

Edited by orangepeelneil
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, orangepeelneil said:

Hi,  

Looking at the EMG schematic and instructions you would need the toggle switch to select /solo pickups using the green connector.

It looks like your wire links on the green connector is linking both bridge (BR) and neck (NK) to output (O) permanently (in parallel)  , i.e this would be mid position of 3 way toggle.  

Have you got a 3 way suitable toggle switch you can install to confirm this? 

looking at the instructions, VVTT should be achievable  (diagram #7/8 ) with this setup too (with a 3 way switch)  and the 2nd tone pot connected 

Thanks Neil 

Screen Shot 2024-01-28 at 23.03.39.pngScreenShot2024-01-28at23_36_31.png.7291e07959dd05920e265e5f21086111.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-28 at 22.55.44.png

h__instructions_0230-0106rg.pdf 1.64 MB · 0 downloads

Hi Neil, thanks for this. I agree with you, the jumpers just simulate the middle position of the switch. At least it proves I can get a sound out of it though 😅.

Can you see a way to wire VTVT without a toggle? It all seems pretty odd 😵‍💫 I would've thought that disregarding the green switch block would just mean that the neck and bridge pickup circuits are coming into that black connector and going out to the jack, and the switching element is 'optional'? 🤔

Hi, 

Yes, I've seen this linking of the green terminals (as you've done) in EMG instructions before (i.e in the absence of a selector switch) as below. 

Is your the B245? 

From the instructions  The B245 EMG Pickup Buss is used on two pickup guitars that have a selection switch., so probably linking BR and NK to Output on the green connector causes what you experiencing as they are always connected together.

The switch block is just a simple connector PCB to make "solderless "connecting easier..

Out of interest, how is the rest of the bus switch wired? is it correct as per the EMG schematic, I recall having an issue with GNDs on an EMG active set, worth confirming that too. 

Thanks Neil

ScreenShot2024-01-28at23_52_33.thumb.png.0e07239492f156e6eb5ca5a95dfad057.png

b245rb_instructions_0230-0290rb (1).pdf

Edited by orangepeelneil
  • Like 1

Right, I've followed that wiring diagram and got it working as it should! 🙌

Only problem is, it has some weird fuzziness going on! 😫 There's a bit of noise when I'm not playing too.... 

Anyone got any ideas?

Hi,

Fuzziness or buzzing? 

Buzzing would most likely be a grounding issue, could be worth checking the grounding if you are getting buzzing, including wire to bridge if that is fitted. 

As per the instructions at the bottom DO NOT reconnect the bridge ground wire, as EMG Active Pickups do not require string grounding

Thanks Neil 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orangepeelneil said:

Hi,

Fuzziness or buzzing? 

Buzzing would most likely be a grounding issue, could be worth checking the grounding if you are getting buzzing, including wire to bridge if that is fitted. 

As per the instructions at the bottom DO NOT reconnect the bridge ground wire, as EMG Active Pickups do not require string grounding

Thanks Neil 

It's really weird, it's like fuzzy overtones when you play the strings, and like I say there's some background noise when not playing, which is not what I'd expect from EMGs.

I did see the note in the instructions on the bridge wire, so I've just taped it up.

I didn't install the pickups, so I'm going to lift them and check the connections tonight. After that my only other thought is whether the barrel jack has a problem - one of my cables doesn't work with it but another does. I think it's the original one, so may be some wear and tear going on.

I have questioned my wiring of the jack, but I'm certain it's right, unless the original Ibanez jack socket has non-standard configuration of the terminals (should be long - sleeve, medium - ring, short - tip?)

Thanks for your help 🙏

1 hour ago, PaulThePlug said:

Fuzzy Overtones?.. Chorus-ing?

Maybe pickups are a little high...

I did wonder that, but they seem quite low to me. Something else to experiment with maybe.... I'm keen to rule everything out before I go to EMG for help 😅

So, update from tonight: lifted the pickups and they're good. Still getting the fuzzy overtones.... Ruled out amp, cab, cables etc. Then I realised that the bridge pickup is fine, and actually it's only the D and G side of the P pickup that has this effect.... Do you have any ideas guys? I'm starting to wonder if it's a dodgy pickup? 🤔

7 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

If you can be arsed... wire length enough to swap the halves over?

Just to see what happens? Maybe I'll have a look.... Although I don't think the output lead to the controls would reach

Hi, I just installed EMG GZRs onto Ibanez after removing the active aspects from the guitar as I want to gig without battery issues. Just prefer ti that way really. They sound great except the E string now has only half the volume as before. It sounds like a Dead string, but when switched off it sounds fine compared with the other strings. The string spacing and heights are all right and the issue is the same on both the P and the J pickups isolated. I cannot see how it can be an electronics issue as the A string is fine. Any ideas?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, NowtFlash said:

Hi, I just installed EMG GZRs onto Ibanez after removing the active aspects from the guitar as I want to gig without battery issues. Just prefer ti that way really. They sound great except the E string now has only half the volume as before. It sounds like a Dead string, but when switched off it sounds fine compared with the other strings. The string spacing and heights are all right and the issue is the same on both the P and the J pickups isolated. I cannot see how it can be an electronics issue as the A string is fine. Any ideas?

No idea to be honest, worth emailing EMG though probably. I need to double check later, but I think my issue is fixed! It's also pretty embarrassing if it's what I think it is.... 🫣