Why become a member? ×

Power for both AC and Line 6 HX!

Paddy544

Hey everyone,

I've been more of a lurker around here lately.

I'm in the process of assembling a board for an upcoming tour. I've got a DI that requires 12v AC, and I'm also considering getting a Stomp or HX Effects, which, as you probably know, comes with its own set of power requirements. Any suggestions on a power supply that can handle both of these?

From what I've dug up in my research so far, it seems like I might end up back at square one with individual pedals.

I had my eye on the T Rex Classic - it covers the AC need and can double up on 2 of the DC outputs. But as far as I can tell, the DC outputs are 500mA shared across the 9 outputs, rather than 500mA each, which I believe the Line 6 gear needs.

Thanks,
Pat

I use this power supply to power the board: https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant_iso_10ac_pro.htm?glp=1&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAk9itBhASEiwA1my_61jxwpvWF9Jx4lhL6_p3sanjAcQXc9PEBuTjB0pke7CUINSJKtv86xoCx6oQAvD_BwE

I also daisy chain a couple of outputs to power LED's on the board and the power supply doesn't have any noise issues.

I use this adapter to power the Stomp : https://www.thomann.de/gb/rockboard_power_ace_conl6.htm?glp=1&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAk9itBhASEiwA1my_66eFW8sZdAD356ioH6LzURo-aXAaLOxauTL9AQ9lCZRtwNuls_PwmhoC3vEQAvD_BwE

I spent a while looking at more expensive alternatives to power my 9 other pedals and the Stomp, but this works perfectly and isn't that expensive.

Ru.

Edited by Ruairidh

I recently got this

https://www.thomann.de/ie/harley_benton_spaceship_power_50m.htm

They come in multiple sizes.

Power supply built into board. Plenty of ports including a couple of switchable 9/12/18 and modt importantly, one 3Amp port which will easily power an stomp or other line 6 product.

I think a few of the harley benton power supplies have the same features.

You would need some rockboard adapters for the line6 product. 

Point of interest that is important

On the switchable 9/12/18 ports the mA goes down as the Voltage goes up.

I think its something like 500mA at 9v, 250mA @ 12v and 200mA at 18v. Something like that. Youd need to look it up.

3 hours ago, lidl e said:

I recently got this

https://www.thomann.de/ie/harley_benton_spaceship_power_50m.htm

They come in multiple sizes.

Power supply built into board. Plenty of ports including a couple of switchable 9/12/18 and modt importantly, one 3Amp port which will easily power an stomp or other line 6 product.

I think a few of the harley benton power supplies have the same features.

You would need some rockboard adapters for the line6 product. 

Thanks for your thoughts.  Isn't this another Power Supply without a 12V AC output?  I have a DI that needs that as well as looking to power a Stomp/HX Effects.

54 minutes ago, Paddy544 said:

Thanks for your thoughts.  Isn't this another Power Supply without a 12V AC output?  I have a DI that needs that as well as looking to power a Stomp/HX Effects.

Are these not what youre talking about?

Screenshot_20240128_202542_Chrome.thumb.jpg.58f82515b21afe668456afb99912c90f.jpg

This board will easily power your stomp and your DI with a bunch more power slots to give.

Edited by lidl e

No worries, appreciate any and all input 👍

I’ve got a nordstrand starlifter which takes 12-15 volt AC which makes life interesting.   I’m not a heavy effects user so whilst a line 6 thing would cover a lot of ground and keep things small I think I’m going to keep it simple and go single pedals…

• Like 1

As you say, the T Rex Classic looks like it's limited to a total of 500mA DC.

The Cioks AC10 might do the job - https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/b-stock/product/1204643/b-stock-cioks-ac10-ac-dc-effects-pedal-multi-power-supply In my experience of trying assorted power supplies with the HX Stomp, if it gets insufficient power, you know about it straight away as it won't even complete starting up.

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

As you say, the T Rex Classic looks like it's limited to a total of 500mA DC.

The Cioks AC10 might do the job - https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/b-stock/product/1204643/b-stock-cioks-ac10-ac-dc-effects-pedal-multi-power-supply In my experience of trying assorted power supplies with the HX Stomp, if it gets insufficient power, you know about it straight away as it won't even complete starting up.

Thanks - I've decided to change route and I'm putting together a small board rather than using a Stomp setup - going to more straightforward

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just to finish off this thread - if for no other reason than to post a pedalboard pic!

This is what I've ended up with.  Sounds really good and overall I'm very happy (the compressor especially)

- but - 

I can't let go of the part of me that feels this preamp/wireless tied to an HX Effects would have been the perfect hybrid rig for me.  Just couldn't find a power supply to do the job.  So this is the board for the Sweden tour in a few weeks!

2024-03-29 11.11.59.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Someone pointed me at a power supply that'll potentially deliver what I need.  

Does anyone have experience of running either a HX Stomp or HX Effects at 900ma.  I know products like the Cioks DC7 would deliver 1000 but I'd be getting 900 out of this one.