Why become a member? ×

Two Ampeg SVT210AVs vs One Barefaced Two10

Alfie

Would two Ampeg SVT210AVs be comparable in volume and bass as one Barefaced Two10 when paired with a Fender Bassman 100t? I owuld love a Two10, but the recent hefty price rise has put it further out of reach and the one I thought I had bought from here was suddenly withdrawn, so looking for an affordable alternative.

I have never had the pleasure of using a Barefaced product.  I do use a pair of Acme Sound B2 three way 2x10 cabinets which I stack on their ends for vertical 4x10.  I would never try to gig with just one though I'm sure one would do fine. The vertical arrangement brings my sound up closer to my ears and improves dispersion in the room. I also feel that there is safety in numbers and not having to push the cabs.

Barefaced use more modern drivers so I imagine that a 2x10 would handle most gigs you might play.  I'd still stand it on its ends so that the drivers a vertically aligned for the above reasons.

• Like 1

The Barefaced can probably handle as much power as the pair of Ampeg before reaching the driver mechanical limits, but you'd need at least a 400w amp for that to be a concern. As mentioned when you're power shy you need sensitivity, where four drivers will probably be better than two.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

The Barefaced can probably handle as much power as the pair of Ampeg before reaching the driver mechanical limits, but you'd need at least a 400w amp for that to be a concern. As mentioned when you're power shy you need sensitivity, where four drivers will probably be better than two.

Thanks Bill. Would a 100W tube amp running at 2ohm into three SVT210AVs be a sensible idea?

3 hours ago, Alfie said:

Thanks Bill. Would a 100W tube amp running at 2ohm into three SVT210AVs be a sensible idea?

Not really. You lose the practicality of the 410 vertical stack without adding a whole lot of sensitivity going from 4 to 6 drivers. A 610 pile has rubbish dispersion.

• Like 1