Why become a member? ×

Withdrawal Symptoms/Abstinences From Not Playing Bass?

Withdrawal Symptoms/Abstinences From Not Playing Bass?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you suffer from withdrawal symptoms/abstinences if not getting to play bass on a regular basis?

• Sometimes...
    • Yes!
    • No, never!

I do get unease when I cannot play. Right now, I have a splinter-like pain in the tip of a finger. I cannot find a lot of info on it but people online say it is an inflamed nerve and one needs to rest a day or two. I find it difficult.

Unfortunately, this comes with a very specific type of personality I have, which has pros but also very many cons. I was thinking just these days how maybe playing music is playing against me.

I work from home in front of a pc. Lunchbreaks, instead of being a chance to unwind and get some fresh air, are used to chuck some food down my throat quickly and playing. Then there's all the childcare . Then in the evening, I am back on the instrument. Which is good on paper but I seem to be doing it even when I feel exausted. The weekends are a n opportunity to play more.

Paradoxically, this does not progress my playing as it is largely noodling and going through stuff I know already, all I have energy left for. Then there are the periods when I commit to learning properly, but soon I see signs of burnout.

No doubt music is giving me joy, but most weeks I literally do not leave the house (except a small drive for childcare) Monday to Friday. I have not neglrcted my family, but I hsve neglected everything else.

While I am happy when I play, I start to realise that music is not making me a happier person.

I should probably "ringfence" it. 20 mins, at a time it does not get in the way of seeing the light of day, doing sports, talking to people, sleeping...

...easier said than done for me

• Like 1

I do get withdrawal symptoms from not playing music generally, but I play a few instruments and I'm more likely to rattle off a folk tune on recorder or do some vocal work. On holiday or trip I'll often have a recorder in my luggage. 

I don't get withdrawal symptoms from not playing bass, as far as I don't miss it when I'm not playing. But when I play again I'm wondering why I left it so long. I played double bass yesterday for the first time in months - loved it and realised I'd missed playing so much, but not until I'd played. 

• Like 2

Here's an odd one.

Pretty much bandless and lacking in bass mojo at the moment I'm just learning whatever songs spring to mind. Not necessarily complicated stuff, just whatever pops into my head.

I've learned a few Gary Numan songs - good basslines, great synths, bit of nostalgia.

Now, I can't stop playing Cars. Got up this morning, found myself plugged in and playing Cars whilst the kettle boiled. About 6 times.

Did some errands with Mrs. Pook, got back. Cars. Cars. I've just stopped Cars to type this.

Before this it was More Than This by Roxy Music. It feels like a strange compulsion.

Is this a bass playing renaissance or subliminal nostalgia? It feels weird tbh.

Cars

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 2