Why become a member? ×

Bridge pickup questions - J MM other?

OldGit

I've got a new project on the go and the question has come up about the bridge pickup.
The neck pup is a p-type but what to stick at the bridge?

The obvious answer is a J-type but what would a MM type or double J or second P type give me in terms of sonic options?

This will probably be active/passive switchable with a Sadowsky VTC setup.

Any guidance?
TIA

[quote name='OldGit' post='485726' date='May 12 2009, 10:50 AM']I've got a new project on the go and the question has come up about the bridge pickup.
The neck pup is a p-type but what to stick at the bridge?

The obvious answer is a J-type but what would a MM type or double J or second P type give me in terms of sonic options?

This will probably be active/passive switchable with a Sadowsky VTC setup.

Any guidance?
TIA[/quote]

I've got one of these in the bridge position of my Shuker. Edit - sorry, that link's not working. If you copy and paste the whole address it should take you to the Delano MM hybrid (not the Jazz pickups)

[url="http://www.delano.de/products.html?&cH...x_smtdelano_pi1"]http://www.delano.de/products.html?&cH...x_smtdelano_pi1[/url][/url][cat]=1&tx_smtdelano_pi1[series]=8&tx_smtdelano_pi1[strings]=5&tx_smtdelano_pi1[system]=9

Very nice Stingray tone in active mode (prefer it to my real 'ray to be honest!), and an equally nice Jazz tone in passive mode. Very flexible, and they look rather cool too!

Edited by simon1964

I like JJ (twin J, Double J, call them what you will!) at the bridge position. Works well in the Warwick Dolphin/Infinity/Vampyre. Also works very well in the MIA Fender Precision Deluxe. I suppose the Roscoe Becks are a variation on the theme, too.

The Warwicks are tappable, too, so you can use it as a single coil if you like. Gives some nice tonal options, and plenty of output if you want it; No more feeble sounding bridge pick-ups (more a problem with guitars IME!)

id put an MM style pickup in there (i'm sure there's been a thread like this somewhere with a modded p-bass?). it should really fill the sound out. And if you're into the Delano pups, the hybrid J/MM pup they've developed would give you even more sonic options

hope this helps

[url="http://www.delano.de/products.html?&cHash=9f97ffcf75&tx_smtdelano_pi1"]http://www.delano.de/products.html?&cH...x_smtdelano_pi1[/url][cat]=1&tx_smtdelano_pi1[series]=8&tx_smtdelano_pi1[strings]=5&tx_smtdelano_pi1[system]=9

I spoke to Jon Shuker (who knows my taste) and he says the Delano hybrid is a good choice, and their P pup will complement my Shuker P5 sound too.
The J/MM hybrid is tappable and runs Ok passive ..
Suits me sir..

I think the choice is narrowing :)

Interesting question arose on another thread about the Sandberg / Delano P pup ..
They have the E&A side nearer the bridge and teh D&G side nearer the neck - ie the other way round from most Fenders (though some Fender's are that way round too.. :) )

Any ideas why?

[quote name='OldGit' post='487188' date='May 13 2009, 07:38 PM']Interesting question arose on another thread about the Sandberg / Delano P pup ..
They have the E&A side nearer the bridge and teh D&G side nearer the neck - ie the other way round from most Fenders (though some Fender's are that way round too.. :) )

Any ideas why?[/quote]

sonically, a imagine it will give the E and A strings a little more definition, and will fill out the sound on the D and G strings. i imagine a very even and very full sound, especially with an MM pickup to beef it up!

[quote name='OldGit' post='487188' date='May 13 2009, 07:38 PM']Interesting question arose on another thread about the Sandberg / Delano P pup ..

Any ideas why?[/quote]

The Warwick Streamer is the same (4 string version). I think the idea is that it will give a "bassier" sound to the G and D, and a tighter sound to the E and A (by placing the pickup nearer the bridge). I suspect its marginal though to be honest.