Why become a member? ×

How many songs for the next rehearsal is realistic?

Jamesemt

We use tracks along with live players so can move through songs quite quickly as the guitarist and myself can pick stuff up pretty sharpish. The issue we find is we learn the songs and the vocalists suggesting the songs then needs reference/  ipad notes etc. Not a problem but all other members commit to memory. I appreciate there are lots of words to learn.Which is why 2 - 4 learnt properly is max or 2 done 2 done but need more run throughs.Songs need to be learnt properly before rehearsal as it’s not a practise.

• Like 1

On 15/01/2024 at 11:37, TimR said:

If everyone 'learned their parts' before 'rehearsal' then it should take no more than 15minutes of a rehearsal to play the songs perfectly. And you shouldn't need an entire rehearsal to work on them. 

This is self-evidently true, otherwise dep gigs would be impossible (let's discount sight reading).

On 15/01/2024 at 11:59, Bassfinger said:

Not being hip and down with the yoof means that for me it's often a case of learning the song first. 

Once I know the tune and it's reasonably well wedged in my cranium then learning the part is generally straightforward, usually by music but sometimes by ear.

This is self-evidently true, if you already have an idea of the structure and character of the song you will learn it faster and may be able to 'busk' it.

On 15/01/2024 at 18:19, nilorius said:

I think it really depends what kind of songs are You going to learn.

This is self-evidently true. I doubt there are many people participating in this thread who couldn't get "Tramp's Vest" down note-perfect, including the stop, after a single play through.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

This is self-evidently true. I doubt there are many people participating in this thread who couldn't get "Tramp's Vest" down note-perfect, including the stop, after a single play through.

Exactly, in particular when some one always feels like 100% Pastorius !!!

• Like 1

A lot of it is down to the self-confidence of the musicians involved. My current band are improving in that respect, but I've been in bands where they've felt the need to rehearse every week whether there's new material to be learnt or not, even when they were gigging a couple of times a month.

• Like 2