Why become a member? ×

Latin Tumbao

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a good tutorial for a Tumbao? I’ve got a piano one and it’s good but just not sticking. I need something I can play over and over till it’s in the noggin! Basic stuff, I just need to put the notes in the right place!

These are the first exercices for a method I am currently developing. The point here is to tap the CLAVE with your foot and play the notes with your bass. These seem pretty basic, but don't be fooled. Never go for the next one until you feel really comfortable playing the exercise you are working and can feel naturally all the beats of the two bars. specially the downbeats

Sinttulo.jpg.10a86845b4a52ba15c1c398ad849dd00.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bassalbert said:

These are the first exercices for a method I am currently developing. The point here is to tap the CLAVE with your foot and play the notes with your bass. These seem pretty basic, but don't be fooled. Never go for the next one until you feel really comfortable playing the exercise you are working and can feel naturally all the beats of the two bars. specially the downbeats

Sinttulo.jpg.10a86845b4a52ba15c1c398ad849dd00.jpg

Thanks looks great certainly not basic for me anyway!

7 minutes ago, itu said:

Cheers! I bought this about a million years ago! It came with a cassette! I might still have it in the loft.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Latin Bass Book by Oscar Stagnaro is really good and he goes into tumbao and all the variations. You can start with the versions where you play on the 1 and then work your way up to the syncopated version where the 4 anticipates the next chord and ties over the bar line.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, tinyd said:

The Latin Bass Book by Oscar Stagnaro is really good and he goes into tumbao and all the variations. You can start with the versions where you play on the 1 and then work your way up to the syncopated version where the 4 anticipates the next chord and ties over the bar line.

I’ve been looking at that book I need to get it. I was shown a pattern by a drummer pal where the notes land on the 2 offbeat and 4, which worked and began to make sense 

• Like 1

For Latin influences, check out a bassist called Simon Goulding.

Some fantastic stuff on his website and on YouTube. 

Sadly he passed away a couple of years ago but you can still get his ebook courses etc on his website:

https://www.simongoulding.com/ebook-courses

He offered me some lessons a few years ago and I never got round to it. Awesome bassist with an impressive session CV.

Good luck 👍 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, boomboomboom said:

For Latin influences, check out a bassist called Simon Goulding.

Some fantastic stuff on his website and on YouTube. 

Sadly he passed away a couple of years ago but you can still get his ebook courses etc on his website:

https://www.simongoulding.com/ebook-courses

He offered me some lessons a few years ago and I never got round to it. Awesome bassist with an impressive session CV.

Good luck 👍 

Sad news about Simon, looks like very good content…. Thanks

Edited by steviedee