Why become a member? ×

High mass bridge for a Squier

Thump

Finally got the finger out this evening. I've had the bridge sat in a drawer for a couple of months now , went and bought new strings (ouch!) this afternoon. 

Not many pictures taken of the process , not a difficult one anyway. It plays the same , it sounds the same , it looks slightly better. Worth it? £30 for the bridge and an eyewatering £50 for new flats. Speaking of which , i bought the same set as i did 7 years ago except now they're 20 quid more and the G feels rougher than the last set and noticeably duller in appearance. Roto monel flats 40-100. Not sure if something has changed in the manufacturing or the finishing process or if this one G string slipped past qc. Just feels less quality than the one i took off.

1000009827 (1).jpg

1000009828.jpg

• Like 2

That looks good. I swapped out the bridge on a Squier Telecaster bass. I replaced the old-style two saddle bridge with a Badass. It improved the adjustment and intonation no-end and basically, made a good bass even better. I originally bought and set it up for my daughter. When she lost interest I gladly took it back 😆

F55D8105-4EBE-44C9-86D5-B1AAB9CBD08A.jpeg

• Like 4

I have the Fender hi mass on my Squire CV transition P bass. It's a great bit of gear for the money, although having to by the correct mounting screws (Fender Product no.: 9000-0006-2935 if anyone is looking for some) separately was a ballache.  One hopes they sell them with the screws these days.

• Like 1

Nope , no screws supplied. But it was fine as i just reused the old ones , Squier - Fender hole pattern was identical and i didn't ham fist anything.

I have noticed a difference in how it balances now , it is a little body heavier as you would expect but i didn't think it would be so noticeable.

• Like 1

On 28/12/2023 at 19:22, Thump said:

Finally got the finger out this evening. I've had the bridge sat in a drawer for a couple of months now , went and bought new strings (ouch!) this afternoon. 

Not many pictures taken of the process , not a difficult one anyway. It plays the same , it sounds the same , it looks slightly better. Worth it? £30 for the bridge and an eyewatering £50 for new flats. Speaking of which , i bought the same set as i did 7 years ago except now they're 20 quid more and the G feels rougher than the last set and noticeably duller in appearance. Roto monel flats 40-100. Not sure if something has changed in the manufacturing or the finishing process or if this one G string slipped past qc. Just feels less quality than the one i took off.

1000009827 (1).jpg

1000009828.jpg

Is the spacing not too narrow? A and D seem OK but E and G aren't centred on the pole pieces. Is there any sideways adjustment?

I need to replace the bridge on a Squier Jazz and am looking at options at the moment, this bridge being one of them.

Edited by AMV001
  • Like 1

Checking older pictures it appears to be the exact same spacing , i know the volume from those strings certainly has not changed. No sideways adjustment available either.

I really like those Fender HiMass bridges and have one in my bits box waiting - the weight isn't offensive and the saddles feel good under the palm. Unfortunately I have a CV jazz with the weird bridge mounting that only came on that short range of models and doesn't fit any standard 5-hole mount, so haven't got around to redrilling for it yet. 

• Like 1