Why become a member? ×

NBD - 2016 MIJ Mustang

Paul S

Having decided that my recently acquired Gibson SG is the perfect bass for my band I stopped looking for anything else.  For a fortnight, at least. :D 

I was having a cheeky look on eBay and saw a MIJ Mustang for sale at a price that was hard to resist. 😍  I've had several 'similar' basses - a 70s Fender Musicmaster, couple of Squier VM Mustangs, couple of Squier Musicmaster Vista Series - In fact I have one of those currently.  But I've never had a MIJ Mustang.  Weight was good - under 3.6kg, price was good as the body is rather tatty.  Anyway, it now resides here and it is totally fabulous.  Def. a different league to the others I have had, even the Vistas, which are damned fine basses.  The neck is superb, bit slimmer than the Vista, but it is the tone from the stock pickups that is the stand-out for me - exactly what I would want from a Mustang.  That lovely woody, organic thump with just enough edge to make it interesting.  It is the best of the Fender flavoured basses I own at the moment, for sure.  It has a little bit of neck dive but a grippy strap has cured that.  It is vintage white with a black pickguard, can't live with that so a white pickguard is coming.   Odd place for a thumb rest!  2 more holes or leave it?  Dunno. 

Here is the eBay pic, which doesn't really show anything much.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 10

51 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Congrats, I kept on looking at this one and wondered if it would end up owned by a Basschatter (other than myself, I showed amazing levels of restraint for once).

Ah, yes, restraint.  Hmm.  I've seen the word written down. :D 

Once I've stuck the new pickguard on it I'll take a nicer pic or 4.

Edited by Paul S
  • Haha 1